Transfer Advancement from Other Youth Organizations

56 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Actually, the Scout Spirit doesn't have time specifications ... although one would think it's implicit. But, take 2nd class ... a scout describes how he followed 4 points of the scout law other than the ones he chose for tenderfoot. Suppose for one of those four, he gave an example of something he did before he earned tenderfoot. As written, he would still meet the requirement. By extension, a girl scout who shows multiple ways that she was following each point of the oath and law could meet the requirement.

“Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath and Scout Law.”

I have always interpreted that to be something that must be shown, not tell someone about. The telling of how the Scout fulfilled 4 points of the Law was more for the Scout benefit, sort of a self awareness of how he was living the Oath and Law.

As far as demonstrating, to me a big part of that is how the Scout interacts with his Unit. Is he helpful, does he participate cheerfully, is trustworthy and friendly towards other, etc.

Perhaps I read it too literally, but that has been my understanding.

But each situation is unique.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends on the unit. In the 'High Speed, Low Drag"  and "One and Done" Advancements units. probably no one. Those units will high standards and expectations, all of them. sadly my unit is in the

Don't get me started there. There are so many things wrong with G2SS in that regard. But that is a topic for a different thread.

A scout is trustworthy. Ask the scout, can you tie those knots, swim those yards, and navigate that terrain? If the answer is "No sir," reply, "Come back when you can." To add to Flag's comm

8 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

“Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath and Scout Law.”

I have always interpreted that to be something that must be shown, not tell someone about. The telling of how the Scout fulfilled 4 points of the Law was more for the Scout benefit, sort of a self awareness of how he was living the Oath and Law.

As far as demonstrating, to me a big part of that is how the Scout interacts with his Unit. Is he helpful, does he participate cheerfully, is trustworthy and friendly towards other, etc.

Perhaps I read it too literally, but that has been my understanding.

But each situation is unique.

The new requirements literally have tag-along scentences with the verb "describe", but I certainly agree that a scouter's observations are important. For transfers (even if they are from within the organization)  an SM's (or PL's - if the troop has him sign of on that req) observations may be limited. I've had to contact other leaders to get a fair picture in such situations.