Transfer Advancement from Other Youth Organizations

Just now, Stosh said:

So the college resume has both Eagle and Gold listed on it.... that's why.

There's no college worth going to that would care about someone who has two of the same thing. Especially, if the effort in one could be used toward completing the other.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends on the unit. In the 'High Speed, Low Drag"  and "One and Done" Advancements units. probably no one. Those units will high standards and expectations, all of them. sadly my unit is in the

Don't get me started there. There are so many things wrong with G2SS in that regard. But that is a topic for a different thread.

A scout is trustworthy. Ask the scout, can you tie those knots, swim those yards, and navigate that terrain? If the answer is "No sir," reply, "Come back when you can." To add to Flag's comm

3 minutes ago, Stosh said:

Yeah, but one could be the first and get 5 minutes of fame on national news.

A good enough project for either award gets you 15 minutes of fame. And a military pay bump.

There are already Venturers and Sea Scouts with a silver eagle at the end of their ribbon and a GS Gold award. NESA should shine the spotlight on these champions and give their Eagles something to aspire to.

12 minutes ago, Stosh said:

So the college resume has both Eagle and Gold listed on it.... that's why.

Already had a dad tell me his daughter will earn both Gold and Eagle. She's 13, so she has time to do it even if she doesn't want to. Dad is pushing older brother. And yes it's for college applications reasons

2 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Already had a dad tell me his daughter will earn both Gold and Eagle. She's 13, so she has time to do it even if she doesn't want to. Dad is pushing older brother. And yes it's for college applications reasons

Good grief.  Her time would be better spent getting good grades and preparing for SAT/ACT, of course, some unstructured free time would be nice too. :)

I find it ironic that her dad is pushing her two brothers, they are progressing, but not at the rate dad wants them to. Nor have they held elected PORs, only appointed ones. Yet there are others in the troop who are not being pushed, but keep getting elected and are advancing along nicely.

6 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I find it ironic that her dad is pushing her two brothers, they are progressing, but not at the rate dad wants them to. Nor have they held elected PORs, only appointed ones. Yet there are others in the troop who are not being pushed, but keep getting elected and are advancing along nicely.

If the parents push them, they won’t learn or succeed.

I have two brothers in my troop (one first class, one almost Eagle.) 

They have a helicopter mother and will literally do EVERYTHING for her sons. She even does all their school work. She’s doing his Eagle Scout Project, meaning he didn’t demonstrate leadership or anything. 

My parents haven’t pushed me, told me to do anything (besides to finish my last two merit badges haha). All I have to do is my last two merit badges. I did a meaningful project at a local Adult daycare center, and I found the place myself through my nursing program. I planned it, etc. My parents refused to give me answers (which I’ll thank them for later), when I could find them out. I know I’ll be prepared for life rather than the ones being “babied by their parents”. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Stosh said:

I had a scout who's mom kept track of his calendar of events so he would be sure to show up for everything.  I wonder if he remembers to go to work everyday now that he's an adult?

Haha. Those type of parents will get their child(ren) no place in life.

4 hours ago, qwazse said:

There's no college worth going to that would care about someone who has two of the same thing. Especially, if the effort in one could be used toward completing the other.

Really? Then why do colleges care about kids doing multiple things in the same category of activities?

They know the star running back is already fast, he doesn't need to do spring track to prove it. But he does anyway. 

How many different things can a band kid join? Wind ensemble, jazz band, marching band, concert band, etc. It's all the same, playing an instrument, but just more of it. 

Maybe scouting is entering that phase of things, for better or for worse. I had heard of a kid a few years ago in BPSA and BSA who wanted to earn the George Washington's Scout Award and Eagle Scout. 

Multiple clubs, multiple sports, and now multiple scouting orgs. 

Edited by EmberMike
2 hours ago, EmberMike said:

...Maybe scouting is entering that phase of things, for better or for worse. I had heard of a kid a few years ago in BPSA and BSA who wanted to earn the George Washington's Scout Award and Eagle Scout. 

Multiple clubs, multiple sports, and now multiple scouting orgs. 

But have you heard of any admissions office selecting those students over students with single activities over a wider diversity of categories?

My kids got their first-choice college acceptance with one sport and some music (or five sports and no music), one scouting organization, religious life, and strong academics. The one who got a full scholarship did not earn a scouting award. The Eagles did not get a single scholarship.

Colleges ain't stupid. They know how naked the emperor is.

10 hours ago, qwazse said:

But have you heard of any admissions office selecting those students over students with single activities over a wider diversity of categories?

My kids got their first-choice college acceptance with one sport and some music (or five sports and no music), one scouting organization, religious life, and strong academics. The one who got a full scholarship did not earn a scouting award. The Eagles did not get a single scholarship.

Colleges ain't stupid. They know how naked the emperor is.

Admissions offices aren't likely to ever tell anyone outside of the office why they chose one kid over another. So it's kind of hard to say for sure. But it must be beneficial to some kids to hit multiple activities in the same category. Or some reason why guidance counselors advise kids to do that. 

You're right, colleges aren't stupid, and I'm sure they see right through the easy overlaps in activities. Maybe those overlaps count less, but they still have to count for something or why would anyone bother? I suspect maybe the logic is something along the lines of "I earned this one prestigious scouting award, and I'm such a wonderful kid that I went and got this other prestigious scouting award too." 

These activities matter less and less in the college resume arms raise. There is rampant 'accomplishments' inflation as well as outright fraud at our High $chool. I bet there are high school college admissions parents meetings where someone is asking if they all school be starting a non-profits and hiring an admissions coach. (my kids high school has had signs advertising 'college essay help' for months now. I bet some of that 'help' is the actual writing)

On the transfer issue I'd think my boys would resent the fact that while THEY choose Scouts over competing programs someone can do something else and transfer in credits.

Edited by Tampa Turtle

Back in the day and maybe it was only my council, if a scout completed the Red Cross (Senior?) Swimmer (week-long) course they also earned Swimmer merit badge. Similarly, if a scout completed the Red Cross Lifesaving (two-week) course they also earned the Lifesaving merit badge.

Edited by RememberSchiff
10 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Back in the day and maybe it was only my council, if a scout completed the Red Cross (Senior?) Swimmer (week-long) course they also earned Swimmer merit badge. Similarly, if a scout completed the Red Cross Lifesaving (two-week) course they also earned the Lifesaving merit badge.

One thing to remember about ARC and BSA, there is a lot of collaboration with the 2 organizations. The BSA and ARC lifeguard programs are 95% identical. Only difference is the addition of G2SS policies, which are stricter. When I took BSA Lifeguard in 2016, for an extra $25 or $35 and taking the ARC written test, I could have been dual certified. Heck BSA Lifeguard classroom portion was watching ARC videos.

22 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

On the transfer issue I'd think my boys would resent the fact that while THEY choose Scouts over competing programs someone can do something else and transfer in credits.

Yes I would have been ticked. I was a certified YMCA Lifeguard, and still needed to work with a Lifesaving MBC to get teh MB.

• Upvote 1