6 minutes ago, gblotter said:

I have done two terms as Scoutmaster (10+ years). I only became aware of the BSA tool usage matrix last year (and quite by chance). Flog me too, I guess.

I live in the shadow of national so maybe I am jaded by knowing of the various docs. When my SM team took over back in the day, we had a library sciences ASM who researched and found all BSA publications and put together a list of them for us. We made our own pdf copies (before BSA made them available) and disseminated them to our ASMs. We were part of the pilot group that had all ASMs trained as the SMs were required. Could be why we know of all these things.

This SM was also part of that pilot, hence the private flogging.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glad to hear it worked out. Not to be too picky here in the happy aftermath of the project approval, but an Eagle project is not a troop function.  It is a function of the Eagle candidate, with

Just like in the professional world, an employee shouldn't be floored by a poor performance review which seemingly comes from out of the blue.  Rather, a supervisor should coach/mentor an employee suc

Actually Eagle projects are considered troop activities, this changed either with the initial release of the Guide to Advancement in 2011 or with one of its revisions.   This is from the 2017 revis

8 minutes ago, gblotter said:

BSA tool usage matrix last year (and quite by chance). Flog me too, I guess.

You can tell that the firm of Dewey, Cheathum, and Howe has been hard at work in Irving, TX

What a joke, you have to be at least 14 to use these??? 

• Pickaxe
  • Mattock
  • Posthole digger
  • Wheel cart (1-, 2-, or 4-wheeled)
  • Paint roller with extension pole
  • Screwdriver (electric)
  • Handheld sander (small)
  • Cutting tools (e.g., Dremel, small)
  • Paint sprayer (small, less than 50 psi)

16 or older to use these???

• Residential lawn mower (self-propelled, riding)
  • Commercial lawn mower (push, self-propelled, riding)
  • Line trimmer (electric, gas-powered)
  • Edger (electric, gas-powered)
  • Leaf/grass blower (electric, gas-powered)
  • Hedge trimmer (electric, gas-powered)
  • Belt sander (electric, cordless)
  • Pressure washer (50 to 100 PSI)

But Everyone can use these tools

• Leaf/grass rake
  • Hoe
  • Shovel
  • Hand clipper (small)
  • Screwdrivers
  • Nail hammer
  • Handsaw
  • Trowel
  • Hose spray washer
  • Wood sanding block (handheld)
  • Wood chisel (Scouts with Totin’ Chip)
  • Pocketknife (Scouts with Whittling Chip or Totin’ Chip)

And over 18 for these

• Circular, reciprocating, jig, or radial saw
  • Band and scroll saws
  • Router/planer
  • Chain saws
  • Log splitters
  • Wood chippers

4 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

You can tell that the firm of Dewey, Cheathum, and Howe has been hard at work in Irving, TX

What a joke

Previous threads here have sufficiently mocked the tool usage matrix. BSA lawyers will always prevail when there is exposure to liability. It is what it is.

20 minutes ago, gblotter said:

Previous threads here have sufficiently mocked the tool usage matrix. BSA lawyers will always prevail when there is exposure to liability. It is what it is.

When the matrix first came out about 6 or 7 years ago, I was ticked off to the point I was complaining to the local SE asking if camp cooking and  popcorn sales would be next to be restricted since the matrix is based upon US Department of Labor rules for companies. He contacted national about it. Since some Life Scouts work in conjunction with Habitat for Humanity, BSA decided to adapt their rules, which are based upon DOL. Plus BSA does hire youth, and those rules do affect summer camp staff.

Still they are a joke. Oldest son as a 13 year old started his own lawn cutting service. But if he went to work for a friend's business, he would not be allowed to cut grass.

3 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Laugh laugh mockers. It's all a big game until the little red wagon of death puts you on the 4'-1" ladder to eternity. 

I was at a service project (painting) years ago where our SPL -- who knew of the age and tools matrix -- made sure that Scouts of a certain age were painting low, older guys were on stool ladders and the oldest guys were on the higher ladders. :dry:

9 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Laugh laugh mockers. It's all a big game until the little red wagon of death puts you on the 4'-1" ladder to eternity. 

I actually had a bunch of Bears laugh at me when I told them they could not use their little red wagons any more to transport flags for our Memorial Day service project. They thought I was joking.

• Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I actually had a bunch of Bears laugh at me when I told them they could not use their little red wagons any more to transport flags for our Memorial Day service project. They thought I was joking.

Should’ve made one with 5 wheels.