Virtual Campfire

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmmm, I have a gal that got fired up about doing a recent service project that she organized a group of elderly ladies, acquired the materials and had everyone pitch in and make lap blankets for all t

I'm just glad the fingers are there to heal!   It's no picnic though. I took myself off the opioid faster than the surgeon recommended, but that stuff scares me.  I lost a cousin to an overdose a few

I'm totally just wandering by to show off my boys' updated merit badge sashes, 11 year old's is on the right, 13 year old's is on the left.   My 13 y.o.did his family project for Family life and

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

A scout told me not to worry as the "statue of imitations" has expired.

Now back in the day, we challenged other troops to play Buck-Buck...

:)

The statute of limitations may have expired, but a lot of people don't want us to talk about how things were in the old days. This is particularly true if some of those activities or practices would be seen as youth protection violations today. 

Thankfully, in the pre-Social Media days there is plausible deniability. That said there are things scouts used to do that are best not mentioned around scouts at a campfire lest they think you are giving a wink-wink nudge-nudge encouragement. That said, I assumed that this was more of an adult virtual campfire and I did edit out a few bits.

4 hours ago, David CO said:

The statute of limitations may have expired, but a lot of people don't want us to talk about how things were in the old days. This is particularly true if some of those activities or practices would be seen as youth protection violations today. 

Maybe if I just leave out the fun, adventurous parts of the old days, I will be okay?

2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Maybe if I just leave out the fun, adventurous parts of the old days, I will be okay?

That's a good start, but you still need to wipe that grin off your face. They can tell that you're thinking of something fun and adventurous.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

Speaking of adventure, The one story the scouts of today can't believe is true is when I tell them about the time four scouts hiked 50 miles on the Appalachian Trail in 5 days and 4 night's without an adult.  

Meanwhile Western PA boys look can't believe that it's true that they have to have adults with them to call it a camping night. BSA: with or without you.

Okay, favorite memory.  Camp Constantin summer camp around 78  First scout camp for me. Across the lake are these wonderful looking cliffs. It's the OA tap out ceremony and we're lined up in one long line along the shore. Across from us, the sun has set and there were bonfires lit at several points on tops of the cliff. By this time, the fires are mostly embers. And as we stand there in silence, I'm guessing a bulldozer or something pushes the embers over the side of the cliff, creating an absolutely beautiful fire waterfall. It was incredibly magical. 

Image result for camp constantin

• Like 1
On 1/31/2018 at 9:50 AM, Jameson76 said:

Hogan's Heroes was on one night and my son (maybe 9th grade at the time) watched the episode.  First we had to get beyond officers and enlisted men in the same POW camp, but then he said..so the Nazis were just fun loving guys??  I explained it was the 60's and that you had to sort of roll with it.  

Then we found Rat Patrol....

I always enjoyed Hogan's Heroes (it's still a guilty pleasure of mine). Most of the cast were WW2 veterans, and the actors playing the main German roles were Jewish (I read this was deliberate). In fact several members of the cast were holocaust survivors and lost family members in the camps. So I don't think they were trying to suggest the Nazis were just fun loving guys.

• 3 weeks later...