Virtual Campfire

I got out my trusty flint and steel. Got the tinder and kindling going and tossed on a couple of logs. Pull up a stump or log, and this thread is not possible to stay on a thread for very long.  If it does I will be surprised. Feel free to jump in at any time with whatever might be interesting to others who find  a need to warm up.

CAUTION: If one has a topic they wish to stay on topic, please post in the proper category! 

If some adult wand to douse the fire, it's been done before for getting off topic, but they don't have that excuse here.  Keep the conversation Scout-like, respect others, and jump in any time. 

This campfire is especially open to the hundreds of lurkers out there who feel left out of other conversations.   I especially like dumb questions because I  am well qualified to give dumb answers.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmmm, I have a gal that got fired up about doing a recent service project that she organized a group of elderly ladies, acquired the materials and had everyone pitch in and make lap blankets for all t

I'm just glad the fingers are there to heal!   It's no picnic though. I took myself off the opioid faster than the surgeon recommended, but that stuff scares me.  I lost a cousin to an overdose a few

I'm totally just wandering by to show off my boys' updated merit badge sashes, 11 year old's is on the right, 13 year old's is on the left.   My 13 y.o.did his family project for Family life and

Posted Images

1 minute ago, NJCubScouter said:

Stosh, is there a topic in this thread?  I am not sure that one can be on-topic OR off-topic, if there is no topic at all.

He's making an off-topic thread. I'm actually kind of curious what kind of thread this could be. 

How about all the lurkers out there....  do any of us here know what they're thinking about?  Or is this a place for only those who think they know it all?  I'm willing to bet there's a ton of information out there that the rest of us could learn a lot from. How many people are registered here and how many post?

Edited by Stosh
22 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Stosh, is there a topic in this thread?  I am not sure that one can be on-topic OR off-topic, if there is no topic at all.

How many people have a place here that want to just do a bit pf jaw-jacking but don't know where to start.  That's a topic.

I found, and bought, a 1941 edition of the Handbook for Patrol Leaders for $5. It's in great shape. What blew me away was that it's almost 600 pages long. I started reading it and it's good. Bill's writing style is infectious. Someone should republish it.

I know, it's not I&P, but that's where I am today.

• Upvote 1

I've been a book collector for years.  I have all the handbooks except for the first.  I've also collected a lot of the early literature of BSA that was promoted  prior to the electronic age.  lot of good information about scout unit structure that got boys going on early scout organization.

3 hours ago, MattR said:

I found, and bought, a 1941 edition of the Handbook for Patrol Leaders for $5. It's in great shape. What blew me away was that it's almost 600 pages long. I started reading it and it's good. Bill's writing style is infectious. Someone should republish it.

I know, it's not I&P, but that's where I am today.

I think we should talk about Green Bar Bill a lot more! ;) My collection includes all editions of the Handbook from his pen/typewriter, the Handbook for Patrol Leaders, Handbook for Scoutmasters, and while it doesn't belong to me, I check his Nature Hobbies book out from the basement of the public library from time to time.  Also, I enjoy his biography of Norman Rockwell.  If you're into Wood Badge you should check out the YouTube video I posted in the Program forum.  At the end of that video Bill talks about the demise of the 2nd edition of the Fieldbook, which goes away from loads of Scoutcraft/Woodcraft and focuses on going light and general backpacking in the 3rd edition.  Worth a look!

Edited by LeCastor

I visited the BSA museum in Irving, made a special trip for it to see what they had.  They had nothing on Percy Keese Fitzhugh nor Bill Harcourt.  It was kinda sad to see, but then again, the gift shop was almost as big as the museum part that was sad as well.  Did like the Rockwell paintings however.

2 minutes ago, Stosh said:

I visited the BSA museum in Irving, made a special trip for it to see what they had.  They had nothing on Percy Keese Fitzhugh nor Bill Harcourt.  It was kinda sad to see, but then again, the gift shop was almost as big as the museum part that was sad as well.  Did like the Rockwell paintings however.

Hillcourt does deserve mention in the national museum and I hope that he will get that in the new museum being built at Philmont Scout Ranch.  Back about three years, I made a pilgrimage of sorts to the Bill Hillcourt Museum near Syracuse, NY.  Pretty cool place!

Shoot, I didn't know there was a Hillcourt museum near Syracuse.  I was out there a couple of years ago and would have stopped in. 

The Mrs. really likes Fall and all the colors, I shouldn't have too much trouble getting in another Leaf Peeper trip next fall.  I think Syracuse is right along the way. 

Any word on when the new museum at Philmont will be opened?  Mrs. is talking about doing the canyon country, too. 

Anyone else out there that has a good place for the Mrs. to visit this year?