Eagle Scout Proposal, before the proposal.

I joined the site 10 minutes ago and hope someone can help me and sorry if this is the incorrect forum. Basically my problem is that I'm working on my eagle but I haven't started my project without going into details I need to talk with the chief of police of my city and explain to him what I want to do with the police and if I can do a project for them and see if they even want it. My question is if there is a format for a document I could use which has basic information on my project and what I want to do but have it be professional and if there is any proper way to do this. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Insert_Display_Name, welcome to the forum!

Did you choose that name intentionally?  It looks like it could have been an accident.  :)

I am moving this to the Advancement section of the forum.

The Eagle project workbook, which you should have and must use when you reach the "proposal" stage, would provide basic information.  However, I don't know that I have ever seen it filled out before getting at least conceptual approval from the project sponsor.  Around here, town officials and others will usually give a "verbal" approval based on general information about the project idea, then you fill in the Proposal section of the workbook, and the project sponsor must sign it along with your Scoutmaster, Troop Committee and District Advancement Committee representative.

6 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Insert_Display_Name, welcome to the forum!

Did you choose that name intentionally?  It looks like it could have been an accident.  :)

I am moving this to the Advancement section of the forum.

The Eagle project workbook, which you should have and must use when you reach the "proposal" stage, would provide basic information.  However, I don't know that I have ever seen it filled out before getting at least conceptual approval from the project sponsor.  Around here, town officials and others will usually give a "verbal" approval based on general information about the project idea, then you fill in the Proposal section of the workbook, and the project sponsor must sign it along with your Scoutmaster, Troop Committee and District Advancement Committee representative.

Thank you, and yes the name was intentional. This actually helps a lot I appreciate it.

Welcome to the forums.

Although I'm not a big fan of the fill-in-the blank PDFs. The text in the project plan gives you an idea of talking points you may want in your meeting with the Cheif.

Chances are he or she will be more interested in what you say than anything you have on paper. Be prepared with an opening that explains what you would like to do and why you think it's important. Then ask if you think your project would be welcome.

On 1/8/2018 at 5:33 PM, insert_Display_name said:

I joined the site 10 minutes ago and hope someone can help me and sorry if this is the incorrect forum. Basically my problem is that I'm working on my eagle but I haven't started my project without going into details I need to talk with the chief of police of my city and explain to him what I want to do with the police and if I can do a project for them and see if they even want it. My question is if there is a format for a document I could use which has basic information on my project and what I want to do but have it be professional and if there is any proper way to do this. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I finished my Eagle in 2016. I used the workbook’s proposal section and printed off about four of those for each project idea I had. I used those because they helped me lay out my ideas. I used pencil so I could edit things easier. I met with several possible beneficiaries and discussed my ideas. 3 liked my ideas and one didn’t want me to do a project. I told them that I needed my Eagle coach’s approval on the proposal and that I’d let them know if the project was approved. I worked with my scoutmaster and PLC so that any project not approved for my Eagle would still get done by the troop as a service project. That way the work would still get done. I had the beneficiary sign the proposal once we reviewed the project idea and draft plan. That way I was all set if my Eagle coach and Sm liked it too. Does that help?

• Upvote 1

I think using the Eagle Scout project proposal in the workbook is a good idea, if you already have a project.  The workbook includes a page or two for project sponsors. It might not be a bad idea to give it to him, so that he has an idea of his responsiblities in this endeavor.