52 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

Is it a min of 4 girls per pack or per den? So far, my daughter's Web den has just 2 but there are some younger girls in the pack.

From the literature and videos, 4 per pack.

12 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Our Tiger girl is officially meeting with the Tiger boys now.  1 Girl, 26 boys.  They have separate leaders but for all practical purposes it is a coed den (if you call a 1 to 26 ratio coed). 

[sarcasm on] GEE. Didn't see that one happening.[sarcasm off]

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, our 83 year old Pack just had our first girl den meeting... and I believe the Earth is still rotating.  No media present but we did have some pictures taken of the girls. Most were in uniform an

Week T-1 Update We now have 5 girls interested in joining our Pack.  4 are current GSUSA members and 3 have brothers in the Pack.  We have not pushed recruiting at all and do not plan to so I exp

Thought I would post a few updates.  We have added 12 Scouts since January (8 girls and 4 boys).  One of the boys joined with his sister and another joined when the parents learned of us adding g

2 hours ago, Hawkwin said:

Is it a min of 4 girls per pack or per den? So far, my daughter's Web den has just 2 but there are some younger girls in the pack.

Initially it was 4 girls per pack as a den can be mixed ages.  I know of a few packs that thought they were going to have 4+ girls but they didn’t come thru; however, no one is asking to have the girls that did register to leave.  However, it seems like some of these packs did not have line of sight to having 4 girls join immediately.  I don’t think this is widespread at all but they are out there.

Edited by Eagle1993

A bit more info regarding our Tiger den. We have two sisters that already attend those den meetings that are fraternal twins.  They had already been participating  with the den unofficially.  By moving our loan Girl Tiger to that den we are looking to get those girls registered as well and form a separate den at the same meeting.  

Before Family Scouting this was a coed den with twin sisters unofficially attending with their parents.  Now we have an extra leader there for the girl(s).  However, I agree it will probably be a coed den after Family Scouting.

We are shutting down registration for new girls tomorrow based upon our council’s interpretation of the March 15 deadline.  I think we are done after registering three girls this week (11 in total out of a pack of 85 Scouts).   

So far no loss of any boys or complaints from parents, but it is still early.  Several of the girls are either sisters of existing members or daughters of Eagle Scouts.  One of the girl’s father was a scout in Northern Ireland.  He said he remembered when girls wanted to join back then and he wasn’t a fan.  

We are definitely getting a lot more visibility from the council, which I expected.  At our annual breakfast fundraiser the girls were invited to participate in speaking roles (and did a great job).  Many of the donors commented on how excited they were that girls were finally going to be able to become Scouts.  I think we may have underestimated the impact this may have to big financial contributions from United Way and other large donors.  

The Bear girls and boys are joining forces for the carnival and we have a few overnights upcoming.  Will continue to monitor, especially as we enter the new Scout year.

Out of curiosity - why are you shutting down registration?  I thought as an early adopter pack you could keep registering girls & boys passed the March 15 date.  If the council is pushing this, it seems like an odd restriction.

Our council has interpreted the rule as March 15 is the deadline as all girls added now should rank advance by the end of May.  Other councils have interpreted the rule as the last date early adopters can start.  

• Upvote 1

Besides Eagle1993, are there any other  Early Adopters out there? The Pack and Troop Scouters will be meeting with our CO regarding Family Scouting, and they want to know "the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." And if challenges have arisen, what have been the solutions.

@Eagle1993, thanks for all the posts and please keep them coming. It is helping a lot.

2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Our council has interpreted the rule as March 15 is the deadline as all girls added now should rank advance by the end of May.  Other councils have interpreted the rule as the last date early adopters can start.  

So 2 1/2 months to complete a program we are told should really take the better part of 8 months? :huh:

14 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Besides Eagle1993, are there any other  Early Adopters out there? The Pack and Troop Scouters will be meeting with our CO regarding Family Scouting, and they want to know "the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." And if challenges have arisen, what have been the solutions.

Lot's it seems. There is a Facebook group with over 1000 either interested or involved in such. No idea how many girls that translates too.

My Pack has not been very successful in their recruitment. I am currently a Den Leader of 1 (we had one more that backed out for some reason) and I don't know how many others there are in the Pack. I am going to spend some time trying to recruit more Webelos to get us up to 3 or 4 for the Den.

• Confused 1
48 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

I am currently a Den Leader of 1 (we had one more that backed out for some reason) and I don't know how many others there are in the Pack. I am going to spend some time trying to recruit more Webelos to get us up to 3 or 4 for the Den.

If I remember right, that Webelos is your daughter.   What are you planning for next year?  Any plans for a BSA4G girls' troop  in February 2019? 

21 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

What are you planning for next year?  Any plans for a BSA4G girls' troop  in February 2019? 

Good questions.

The pack we are in has other girls that are on standby waiting until the Fall to join (the one that decided not to join the den will join the pack in the Fall) but all of those will be Web1 and lower. My "den" should be AOL by then and on our way to crossover. Considering our Den of 1, in the Fall when the normal application process starts, we may simply change packs to one that is closer to home and continue as a Den of 1 with some joint activities with any other Web1 dens. If I had known that that the pack was going to be this unsuccessful in their recruitment, I am not sure I would have committed myself and my daughter but that is water under the bridge now. In for a penny...

As far as troops, I have heard rumors but no confirmation that my son's CO will be sponsoring a girls troop but we will have to wait and see. I could see myself having some sort of active role in that entity but not likely much higher than my current level of authority. I simply lack the time to be able to give it the attention I would like to give it - especially starting from scratch.

This weekend, Webelos Walkabout and maybe some work on Cast Iron Chef.

3 hours ago, Hawkwin said:

My Pack has not been very successful in their recruitment. I am currently a Den Leader of 1 (we had one more that backed out for some reason) and I don't know how many others there are in the Pack. I am going to spend some time trying to recruit more Webelos to get us up to 3 or 4 for the Den.

Den of one girl and you don't know how many other girls are in the pack?

National has stipulated that early adopter packs must, among other things,

"Register a minimum of 4 girls into an existing pack in an all-girl den"

If there less than four girls of the same age, all of the girls should be in one den of mixed ages.

Is your pack not following National directives?

6 hours ago, an_old_DC said:

Den of one girl and you don't know how many other girls are in the pack?

National has stipulated that early adopter packs must, among other things,

"Register a minimum of 4 girls into an existing pack in an all-girl den"

If there less than four girls of the same age, all of the girls should be in one den of mixed ages.

Is your pack not following National directives?

The pack is, but clearly the girls aren't.:ph34r: