So, we have started the process to add girls as part of the early adopter program.  Still early in the process so we will see where this goes

Requirements are similar to what you saw in the video.   It is clear they want us to keep the boy and Girl dens separate.  They want new den leaders for the all girls den(s).  It was mentioned that if we have 9 boys and 5 girls in the same level, they could meet same time/place but should have separate leaders and be separate during  the activity.  This is an emphasis of the early adopter program.  They do not want commingled dens. 

Minimum number of girls per Pack is 4-5.  There is no minimum per den.  We can combine girls in different age groups in the same all Girl den.   This probably explains the pack with 5 girls.

Right now, we are working on identifying girls that want to join and den leaders to cover their den(s).  If there is not enough interest we will stop.

Jan 15 is the official start date. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, our 83 year old Pack just had our first girl den meeting... and I believe the Earth is still rotating.  No media present but we did have some pictures taken of the girls. Most were in uniform an

Week T-1 Update We now have 5 girls interested in joining our Pack.  4 are current GSUSA members and 3 have brothers in the Pack.  We have not pushed recruiting at all and do not plan to so I exp

Thought I would post a few updates.  We have added 12 Scouts since January (8 girls and 4 boys).  One of the boys joined with his sister and another joined when the parents learned of us adding g

I had a meeting with my DE.  Very few packs are proceeding with this option (my understanding is that my Pack is the only one or two in his district), so yes we will have a lot of love and attention from our DE.  

The DE will setup training and help explain how we can run a single cross grade den (similar to how he runs the extension? program).  Our DE has been very helpful but I do expect he will be monitoring for national.

I’m not sure what involvement there will be outside our DE; however, he emphasized that they will look for new leaders to be registered as den leaders to show separate den(s) for the girls.   I think it is clear that everyone knows many Packs will have single gender dens in name only but want to make sure this initial role out is single gender.   I actually think they should be less hands on to see how Packs will really react (or not have unique rules). Otherwise I’m not sure they will really learn how this change will really be implemented.  There is a bit of the thumb on the scale situation.

That said, the response from the Pack has been tepid.  We have 3 girls interested over the last 3 days.   Once I get a fourth we will start the official process.   

• Like 1

The reason we are pushing is that some of the girls were interested in summer camps this summer.  By allowing them to join now they are eligible for camp.  Otherwise I agree and I’m not pushing any recruitment outside our current Pack families until next Scout year. 

• Like 1

One quick update that I’m not sure if anyone else noticed. The Be A Scout search now shows if packs are Boy only, Girl Only or mixed.  I haven’t found any that are listed as anything but Boy Only but something to watch for as this ramps up...

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

One quick update that I’m not sure if anyone else noticed. The Be A Scout search now shows if packs are Boy only, Girl Only or mixed.  I haven’t found any that are listed as anything but Boy Only but something to watch for as this ramps up...

Well it may default to 'Boy' pack until told otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Well it may default to 'Boy' pack until told otherwise.

That is true; however, early adopters should be updating them.  We haven’t been able to update ours (my understanding is COR has to setup first).  I haven’t found any Packs showing up as anything but boys.