Who discussed BSA branding at Hong Kong conference?

On 1/8/2018 at 8:47 AM, RememberSchiff said:

In the second session, representatives from Electrolux, Brandgenuity (represented brands: BMW, Banana Boat) and Boy Scouts of America discussed how corporate brand licensing has become a core business development strategy to raise brand popularity and expand their customer base.

http://news.sys-con.com/node/4216773

Why? Who?  How much did the trip cost?  :blink:

Okay, since I have been involved deeply in branding in my professional life I feel the urge to chime in here.

BSA has a very strong brand, both nationally and world wide. Brand equity, value, recognition, recall and a whole slew of other metrics are strengths for BSA.

If BSA did not have a strong brand do you think GSUSA would have spent so much effort and money after the last policy announcement? BSA is certainly using it's brand to their advantage in bringing girls into Scouting. If Trail Life had made the same announcement instead of BSA I don't think you would have heard a word from GSUSA, because the BSA brand is seen as a threat and Trail Life is not.

Licensing is not just about selling products, it is just as important to protect the brand and keep companies from using the brand in ways that would damage BSA.

But, BSA does license their brand for products. All those backpacks, sleeping bags, compasses, water bottles, prints (and apparently burial urns) etc. with BSA logos on them in the Scout Shop are licensed. Businesses like Polaris, Buck Knives, Jansport, Osprey, Case Knives and on and on, pay BSA big dollars to be associated with the BSA brand.

The cost of the conference? Maybe nothing more than the employees salary. Large conferences and conventions almost always pay hotel and food cost, very often they will pay travel as well. Sometimes the pay the speakers a stipend to attend, particularly if they have high brand recognition. Regardless, organizations pay to send employees to these events because there is value in learning what is going on in the market, in networking in being visible. In that regard BSA is no different than any other company. If BSA did pay the full cost of attending then my guess it is still money well spent.

• Upvote 3

WHY?

“…trademark licensing program has grown from $6 million dollars in retail licensed product sales annually at the end of 2006 to more than $75 million dollars in retail licensed product sales annually at the end of 2016…”

WHO?

Mr Greg Winters, Manager, Licensing Programs, Boy Scouts of America

http://www.hktdc.com/ncs/alc2018/en/s/Speakers.html

According to a trade magazine http://images2.advanstar.com/PixelMags/license-global/digitaledition/05-2016-top150.html#46  the BSA is # 150 of the Top Global Licensors.  Bigger than I would have guessed!  Girl Scouts were # 104.  That's a lot of cookies and pinewood derby cars.

As a revenue source licensing make sense for the BSA and if I was in charge I would do it.  But... on the bigger issue of BSA as a franchise and public image (brand), the BSA has not done well.  At least in my Council the number of Organizations interested in chartering a Scout Unit continues to decline.  The BSA is a tough "sell" and  assigning your newest entry level person, the District Executive, as your "sales rep" has not worked well.

• Upvote 2

This is surprising.

I would not guess that the BSA is an international brand. How much BSA-branded product is sold outside of the US?

$75million sales with say 2million customers seems small taters.

Am I missing something?

Edited by RememberSchiff

Probably nil BSA products sold outside the USA.  Assuming main buyers are BSA members buying patches and T Shirts, $75 mil from 2 mill people seems reasonable.

Reading the magazine article footnote, the revenues may be self reported.  Not much representation on the list from Asian companies.  Many companies probably will not disclose such proprietary info.  Thus the list is not "global" and not all encompassing.  Many organizations are self promoting themselves to attract licensees, like the BSA...   http://www.licensingbsa.org/

I hope the BSA has a stringent review process of the product & manufacturer to maintain a high quality image and we'll not find BSA logos on products at the $1 store or a product safety recall!

On 1/13/2018 at 6:26 AM, qwazse said:

Thanks for the idea. I've been of the mind to make my own casket. Given plans for cremation, maybe I could start with my own urn. Maybe in the shape of a PWD car 5x scale? It would hold patches and neckers until I die ... to hand out to my mourners.

i probably wouldn't put a BSA logo on it ... No point in leaving my estate with hassles from BSA licensing.

Carpentry Merit Badge-

(a) "make, with your leaders permission, a casket for your Scoutmaster or other adult leader. Demonstrate how you measured leader and planned dimensions to fit. If appropriate use hand tools to avoid violating Guide to Safe Scouting guidelines."

(b) If appropriate if hunting a white whale casket may be nailed and sealed with pitch for emergency flotation device"

• Haha 3
14 hours ago, numbersnerd said:

But you should only be stored in there after being cleaned via the 3 pot method...

I love the Patrol Box casket! Sometimes I think that would be the best use of them...but I am sure once my scouts got me fit in there they would later realize they forgot to pack something and ask someone to run to Walmart or somewhere to get another hand or something.

• Haha 4
27 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

The more I think about it the more I like it! How about a tiny one for the mantle holding the ashes of dear old Mr Turtle. (or maybe a little backpack)  It can join my wives collection of the ashes of 3 Sheppard's and 5 Cats. 

or maybe the BSA will license these biodegradable paper turtle urns.

http://www.passagesinternational.com/biodegradable-urns/water-urns/biodegradable-turtles

• Upvote 1