Girls Officially Join MA Cub Scout Pack

The Sunday headline was dramatic

Girls Officially Join Boy Scouts for First Time in Massachusetts History

"Officially" well that is correct. I expect in the next few days,  there will be some argument that other girls and their packs were first.

Girls were able to participate as official members of the Boy Scouts on Saturday in Chelmsford for the first time ever in Massachusetts.

Cub Scouts Pack 45 welcomed five girls as members of their unit for the very first time.

“I think it’s huge. I think it’s a really important moment for Cub Scouts, for Boy Scouts,” said Carrie Wetzel, committee chair for Cub Scouts Pack 45.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/01/06/chelmsford-girls-join-boy-scouts-massachusetts-chelmsford/

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2018/01/mass_girls_rev_their_engines_at_cub_scout_pinewood_derby

Edited by RememberSchiff
added another link

I expect to see a lot of these announcements nationwide, especially if councils take advantage of the marketing potential.  To date, all of the discussion have been theory.  Once the general population starts seeing girl and boy cub scouts in Pinewood derby races opinions may get a bit softer and recruiting efforts may be more successful in the fall.  

Rogue pack? 

National indicated January 15 is the earliest date a council can initiate a “soft launch.” Secondly, this pack does not have the National-stipulated minimum membership of four girls per den (unless that has already been changed or waived).

The Herald article reported one kindergarten-aged girl, a second grader and three fourth graders. The National stipulation is four girls in a girl den...as early as Jan. 15.

Interesting that while there are some feel-good quotes from parents, there are no quotes from any Professional.

My hunch is it’s a rogue unit and the CC is good at generating PR.

Edited by an_old_DC
3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Maybe.

One article said: Cub Scouts Pack 45 welcomed five girls as members of their unit for the very first time.

I assumed they were all in one den, but maybe not.

Have you seen the 20 questions video where Surbaugh talks about "as long as each Cub works out of their own book, they'll be fine," or words to that effect? It was in regards to having coed dens.

10 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Have you seen the 20 questions video where Surbaugh talks about "as long as each Cub works out of their own book, they'll be fine," or words to that effect? It was in regards to having coed dens.

I may have been lost in the fog at that point, thanks for the reminder.

I agree with your earlier prediction - coed dens will be the reality.

46 minutes ago, Stosh said:

No difference than if a new pack started with 5 boys, all of different ages.  Yet another loophole view outside the box.  They'll torque it to make it work.

We're scouters. We've always been torquing to make it work.

• Upvote 1