"And They're Off...." Race to Be the First Female.....

And so it begins, the race to be the first female Cub Scout, Eagle Scout, etc. Already seeing lots of photos of girls in their uniforms. Lots of folks saying they cannot wait for January first to be the first ones. Even saw one post on FB where dad stated his daughter will be designated the official first female Cub Scout with his daughter receiving her Bobcat from the Assistant CSE, and the National Cub Scout Director.

Scouting is not suppose to be a race, but a journey,.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know or particularly care who the first Eagle was or who the first female Eagle will be.   This is small stuff. 

Not a problem @WisconsinMomma it just means the competitive field has less participants.  I don't care either, but there are a ton of people out there that think differently and they are driving the b

I couldn't stand seeing it that way every time.

I think this is just human nature on the part of the parents and girls. After all, we know who the first Eagle Scout was, more than 100 years later. For National, it is an opportunity to get some free advertising for the availability of Cub Scouts to girls.

Regarding the 10-18 year old program.  It's going to get interesting. One pro made this comment.

"Developing the girl program takes time so if it’s not ready by December, 5th grade girls can easily continue in the pack working on additional Adventures, Nova Awards, other awards, etc. The older program is not absolutely needed by January 1."

Does anyone see the PR nightmare if boys can move up to troop as soon as they are able, December 1st, but the girls have to remain with a pack? And how many troops will go rogue?

By the time the program rolls out, first place will be old news.  It will be, at best, a 5 minutes of fame, followed by a real lack of motivation reserved only for a few.  After the "champion" has been given appropriate lauds, what's left for the rest of the girls is a tweaked boy program that they may or may not find enriching enough to actually put in the effort.  Just like boys reaching the uphill push through star and life, age factors, competitive activities and the realization that there are those that didn't have to do all the hoops to earn it, they will simply fall by the wayside, just like the boys.  Quick fixes and flashes of fame really don't bode well for tomorrow's reality.

• Upvote 1

Who the first Eagle Scout was is tremendously important to any Scout working on the Scouting Heritage MB, anybody who visits the museum at Philmont or anybody who treasures Scouting heritage in general.

Edited by an_old_DC
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Stosh said:

Not a problem @WisconsinMomma it just means the competitive field has less participants.  I don't care either, but there are a ton of people out there that think differently and they are driving the bus.

Yes, a lot of people are being competitive about it. And they don't realize they are just hurting their kids.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Yes, a lot of people are being competitive about it. And they don't realize they are just hurting their kids.

Since when has that ever held any helicopter parent back?  It's not the journey, it's the destination and who gets there first.  Just remember, the bumper sticker that reads, "My Son is an Eagle Scout" is not there for the scout's benefit.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Regarding the 10-18 year old program.  It's going to get interesting. One pro made this comment.

"Developing the girl program takes time so if it’s not ready by December, 5th grade girls can easily continue in the pack working on additional Adventures, Nova Awards, other awards, etc. The older program is not absolutely needed by January 1."

Does anyone see the PR nightmare if boys can move up to troop as soon as they are able, December 1st, but the girls have to remain with a pack? And how many troops will go rogue?

What in the scouter-verse is going to take more than 12 monts?

Its the same program. Either a CO will have put in for the charter or not. BSA had better make this work with everyone's current cycle of rechartering, or they will lose scouters over the wasted time.

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

What in the scouter-verse is going to take more than 12 monts?

Its the same program. Either a CO will have put in for the charter or not. BSA had better make this work with everyone's current cycle of rechartering, or they will lose scouters over the wasted time.

I too wondered.  Run a quick word search on the book...change He to They and let's move on. 

That being said, maybe there are more tweaks to put in so as to embrace the new "Family" emphasis.  I can see the shocked faces, but maybe our CSE and crowd have not fully disclosed all the coming changes

They have to come with a name for the program.

I’m mostly kidding, they should be able to come up with a name fairly quickly and then print stuff based on the name.  But the fact is that they don’t seem to have come up with the name yet.

8 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

I too wondered.  Run a quick word search on the book...change He to They and let's move on. 

That being said, maybe there are more tweaks to put in so as to embrace the new "Family" emphasis.  I can see the shocked faces, but maybe our CSE and crowd have not fully disclosed all the coming changes

Because, really, an 11 year-old girl can't pick up today's BSHB or any MBP and work the program?

Literature is peripheral. It will be more readily improved after girls have been members for a couple of years.

42 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Because, really, an 11 year-old girl can't pick up today's BSHB or any MBP and work the program?

Literature is peripheral. It will be more readily improved after girls have been members for a couple of years.

They can. Quazse, you’re my candidate for National Director of Gender-inclusive Scouting.  Go get this thing up and running.  :)

• NJCubScouter changed the title to "And They're Off...." Race to Be the First Female.....