Council too tightly managing communication - Venting

So does that mean transgender girls go in which Cub den?  And by the way, does a homosexual male scout leader go under the male or female category when identifying the 2-deep leadership?  It's one thing to step in a meadow muffin and yet another thing to clean up afterwards.

Pandora's Box is opened, have fun with that.

Edited by Stosh
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps the national press releases should have been delayed until they have an idea of how it was to be implemented.  I just read this thread and learned a whole lot more than what has been communica

I wanted to avoid the current topic as it's controversial.  Perhaps I'm no better than the council and DE trying to shield information.  But my frustration is not with the topic.  It's with a repeated

I encourage patrol camping over troop camping. 2 vehicles is usually enough for a patrol (6-8 scouts) and gear plus the two adults driving (3 at most). No need for trailer, or plethora of adults. Most

2 minutes ago, Stosh said:

So does that mean transgender girls go in which Cub den?  

Pandora's Box is opened, have fun with that.

In theory they would go into the Den of the gender that they self identify as.  (not sure I got all my pronouns correct, but it is what it is).  To your pandora's box reference, one would assume if a biological female self identified as a male, they could join a current troop right now.  No doubt that is currently happening somewhere even as we discuss this

On 1/5/2018 at 11:04 AM, Jameson76 said:

Vice President for Family Scouting - Those oranges are not slicing themselves and the participation ranks will not award themselves...somebody has to take the lead

The emphasis on "Family" which appears to be the new buzzword for success (articles in Scouting magazine and Boys Life) is what will no doubt cause much confusion and derision in the next 24 months.  There is no real definition on what it means and if you question what it means one may be accused of not living up to the Scout Oath and Law

How can BSA decide on what is a "family" if the society is conflicted over defining "gender".

On 1/9/2018 at 9:12 AM, fred johnson said:

I just made that connection.  I did not make the connection.  Absolutely right.  Can't have "family" focus if forcing genders to be in different troops.  

Inconsistencies are aggravating.  

Can't?

I am the SM of the girls troop. You are the SM of the boys troop. We are going camping but neither of us have critical mass to go unless we go together (2-deep, # of adults, cars, etc.). *BOOM* you now have two units camping together. If mom or dad want to go along exactly how many troops are going to say no?

We don't officially have family camping now, yet many troops do it. How is having gender-separate units going to stop anyone from doing family camping?

Our unit has, suddenly...really like in 3 months, de-evolved into Family Camping with lots of mom's and dad's coming to events, talking down more strenuous events, talking up other that are easy, etc...influencing the PLC on where they will spend their dollars. The mood seems to be "females are welcome so we girls can go camping". The boys do their meal planning and patrol box thing and a bunch of well meaning moms -and they are real nice God bless'em- talk about "getting enough (donuts, pizza, etc) for the whole Troop--don't worry we will pay for it". Some of the hard core boys are having nothing to do with it, they are conspicuous in their absence and some of 'middle aged' boys are OK with it because, well the catered campout makes the quick trip o Eagle that much easier. Frankly I was shocked out quick this change took place...I really cannot blame National. But I do not see it as a good sign. (I see the same thing in some other youth groups)

But a lot of parents are happy --reminds me when you have a good group of den parents who like to get together-- so O do not think the SM or CC will push it too far. I think they are gonna help their boys get Eagle quick and bail. 

'

17 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Our unit has, suddenly...really like in 3 months, de-evolved into Family Camping with lots of mom's and dad's coming to events, talking down more strenuous events, talking up other that are easy, etc...influencing the PLC on where they will spend their dollars. The mood seems to be "females are welcome so we girls can go camping". The boys do their meal planning and patrol box thing and a bunch of well meaning moms -and they are real nice God bless'em- talk about "getting enough (donuts, pizza, etc) for the whole Troop--don't worry we will pay for it". Some of the hard core boys are having nothing to do with it, they are conspicuous in their absence and some of 'middle aged' boys are OK with it because, well the catered campout makes the quick trip o Eagle that much easier. Frankly I was shocked out quick this change took place...I really cannot blame National. But I do not see it as a good sign. (I see the same thing in some other youth groups)

But a lot of parents are happy --reminds me when you have a good group of den parents who like to get together-- so O do not think the SM or CC will push it too far. I think they are gonna help their boys get Eagle quick and bail. 

'

This is Boy Scouts? Oh, I feel for you @Tampa Turtle. I would have tapped out looooong ago if that was the case. That's not Boy Scouting...that's a Pack event.

• Upvote 2

@Col. Flagg Exactly. I say that and folks look like I am crazy.  I stopped attending the Committees due to a work conflict and missed 2 PLC's and 'WHAM". I am still hanging out enough to help out a few of 'my' older scouts but I think I will just adopt a policy of avoiding events that will just irritate me. That includes a lot of the neighboring Council Boy Scout events that sure feel like cub-scouting. I think that may be because if you have a Council event and a lot of people show up then it is a success regardless if it really reinforces the principles of the traditional Boy Scout program (see ref: Merit Badge Academies, Museum MB classes)

An older wiser Scouter reminded me there was nothing keeping me from planning my own camps and hikes with my family and a few friends the 'old school way'. If I can talk Mrs Turtle into it she might go though I think she does not see the thrill in too much deprivation. She does think camping means cooking meals on site and not catering; however, "camp cooking" means the man does everything. 

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

An older wiser Scouter reminded me there was nothing keeping me from planning my own camps and hikes with my family and a few friends the 'old school way'. If I can talk Mrs Turtle into it she might go though I think she does not see the thrill in too much deprivation. She does think camping means cooking meals on site and not catering; however, "camp cooking" means the man does everything. 

Our Crew does this now. It has become so popular that Scouts who have left the troop (and crew) have come back to attend. 

• Upvote 1