A couple of our explorer scouts (14-18 year olds) have just got back from the Advanced Mountaineering Course run by our neighbouring scout county in the Scottish Highlands over new year. Piccies here! Our mountains aren't quite the Rockies but as you can see they certainly found themselves in a winter wonderland. I'm quite jealous! I'd have tagged along (adults can do the course as well) if I hadn't been on the grand tour of the family over Christmas and New Year. 

• Like 1

Brrrrr....looks like they were having fun....so hard for me to relate....it was almost freezing here today and I had no idea how long it takes to get dressed when it is cold and you have to go to work! I must have saved hours of time not having to shuck and unshuck layers growing up in Florida. (Indeed when I was a lad near Miami I mostly wore some gym shorts, T-shirt, and no shoes except for school and church)

Where in bonny Scotland was that?

20 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Brrrrr....

Where in bonny Scotland was that?

The centre the course operates from is in the village of Lochearnhead, Perthshire, South Eastern Highlands. Nearest major mountains are Ben Vorlich, Stuc-a-Chroin, Ben Lawers, Ben More. Depending on weather they sometimes get a bit further afield places like Bridge of Orchy.

18 minutes ago, Cambridgeskip said:

The centre the course operates from is in the village of Lochearnhead, Perthshire, South Eastern Highlands. Nearest major mountains are Ben Vorlich, Stuc-a-Chroin, Ben Lawers, Ben More. Depending on weather they sometimes get a bit further afield places like Bridge of Orchy.

Ah yes...never been there. Been to Stirling ("the mini Edinburgh") and Pitlochry (had a good wander over there) once. Pretty country.