Old Uniform Display

I recently saw a very nice framed display of Boy Scout patches for sale on eBay (including Eagle Scout rank and palms). I could tell that this boy was very active in Scouting in a Los Angeles troop during the 1990s. However, I felt sad that this collection was up for sale because my own Boy Scout patch collection is a treasure to me. Did the original owner die? Was his patch collection somehow lost or stolen?  The framed collection happened to have an engraved plate with the name of the Scout. With some help from Google, I tracked him down - now working as an attorney in Massachusetts. I felt an obligation to notify him that his patch collection was for sale on eBay in case he wanted to reclaim it. I reached him by phone only to learn that he had intentionally given up his patch collection during an estate sale after his parents died. He had no idea who was selling it on eBay and he had no interest in getting it back. Obviously, some folks are not so sentimental about such things.

Edited by gblotter
  • Sad 2
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

Any ideas that present well?

What you want is called a "shadow box." Typically, these have some depth to them (1.5 to 3 inches) so you don't have to press the uniform flat as you might with another sort of display. Shadow boxes come in a number of shapes and sizes (and quality). I made one for my father when he retired from the military. I also made one for my son when he crossed over to boy scouts.

Something like these:

https://www.target.com/p/distressed-12x15-black-shadow-box-gallery-solutions/-/A-53023155?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Home+Decor+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Home+Decor&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9004338&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkej7wJ-62QIVhYKzCh0kqQmjEAQYAyABEgIbmvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/swing-design-display-12-inch-x-12-inch-mdf-shadow-box/5025285?skuId=63716016&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_homedecor_online&product_id=63716016&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o2&creative=224261976365&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=3140840057&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=h-3085592c1804985af54b3463ad28442e_t-1519327381&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkej7wJ-62QIVhYKzCh0kqQmjEAQYAiABEgItsPD_BwE

I had a hard time finding one large enough for what I wanted to do. I don't recall where I purchased mine but I remember paying about $50 for it - I think from Amazon.

26 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

In personal matters, MYOB has worked well for me.

I was motivated by the Scout slogan.

He was not offended in any way to receive my phone call - it's just that he is apparently not the sentimental type when it comes to Boy Scout patches.

11 minutes ago, gblotter said:

I was motivated by the Scout slogan.

He was not offended in any way to receive my phone call - it's just that he is apparently not the sentimental type when it comes to Boy Scout patches.

Glad to hear he was not offended.

Edited by RememberSchiff
clarity

Years ago, my nephew handed me his red beret with all his scout patches and things in a box, as I was already an avid collector, and he said I should have it;.  Two decades or so later, he had a son in cubs and he asked me if I still had his stuff.  I had simply put it away as he gave it to me, and he was thrilled to get it all back.  My grand-nephew became an Eagle and is now in a ROTC college program at the USF.  He has kept his stuff, including all his dad gave him and I suspect, if he has a son (or now even a daughter) they too will be in the program.  I still am trying to find out where my stuff from the fifties and early sixties that was put in a box has gone.  It was in storage and the storage was cleaned out by my brother.  I think somewhere in the mountain of unopened boxes in his garage in Vegas is what I hope to relocate.  But, I did find a lot of it, as it never went into the storage.  You never know for sure.