A regular share of interesting photos or material, as consistently as I can remember to post.

Summer Training Camp seems to be summer camp, although in early days Scouts did not camp as patrols or troops but were assigned to an ad hoc group in a site or cabin

Oakland, CA, Summer Training Camp:    http://www.sfbac-history.org/LagunitasTC.html

Chattanooga, 1917:  W.H. Sears, Council Commissioner, advocated for a summer training camp for boys to spend several hours a day taking lessons in making items that military auxiliary units may need to furnish troops at the front or in mobilization camps.

Piedmont Council 1926:  The Piedmont Boy Scouts operated a summer Training camp at Lake -Lanier last summer and more than ! two hundred boys were in Camp.  This year, " with the growth and deveIopment of the Boy Scout movement and with the addition of Polk County to the Piedmont territory, the officials of the Piedmont Scout  Council expect ...

Oregon Trail Council 1945: BOY Scout advancement is one of the main features of Camp Lucky Boy-1945, summer training camp of the Oregon Trail council, Boy Scouts of America, located on Blue river, about 45 miles east of Eugene. 

1965..  Riverside County, CA

Idyllwild Camp Set for Scouts

The 46th season of summer! training camp at Camp Elmerson. the mile - high Boy Scout camp near Idyllwild. will be in session from July 24th through August 26th, with Bill Gruber «of Riverside serving as camp director. Over 650 Scouts from 35 troops throughout Riverside County have already registered, and the total is expected to reach I 800. 

Old Dominion Area Council 1971 It will be a busy summer for members of the Boy Scouts of America In this area who will be holding family picnics, going to summer camps and Jetting to Japan for a world jamboree. More than fifty troops with over seven hundred Scouts will be attending the summer training camp of the Old Dominion Area ...

Pakistan 2011: Ibrahim Scouts Got Second Position in all Pakistan Boy Scouts Summer Training Camp Muree. Camp was organized by Pak Boy Scouts Association at Ghora Gali Muree from 20th June to 26th June 2011

India 2013:  https://www.facebook.com/pg/ChenabCollegeJhangOfficial/photos/?tab=album&album_id=299780823499677

General Santos City Council. Philippines, 2017: https://www.facebook.com/events/654698718056276

Medals were more popular as recognition in early days,  That was still going on to a lesser extent in the 1950's.  More room for medals then as only 1% made Eagle.

CAMP EMERALD BAY BEST CAMPER [WEEK] AWARD

lvs42sw.png

CAMP WYANOKE HONOR CAMPER

wwremgt.png

ONE LEVEL OF SUMMER CAMP AWARD PROGRAM

13bD5H6.png

Edited by TAHAWK

I got given this badge at the Spanish National Jamboree. The leader didn't have the greatest of English (but way better than my Georgian!) so I think the story goes was that she was involved in setting up scouting locally, or maybe in Georgia (yes, we're not talking the state here). Looks like they got some help from BSA. She said, and I did understand this bit, that this was the very first custom made badge produced by/for Georgian Scouting after they formed in the 1990s. I was rather touched she gave this to me.

22769816_10155939008339756_8241456028044937465_o.jpg

Edited by ianwilkins
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

I got given this badge at the Spanish National Jamboree. The leader didn't have the greatest of English (but way better than my Georgian!) so I think the story goes was that she was involved in setting up scouting locally, or maybe in Georgia (yes, we're not talking the state here). Looks like they got some help from BSA. She said, and I did understand this bit, that this was the very first custom made badge produced by/for Georgian Scouting after they formed in the 1990s. I was rather touched she gave this to me.

Interesting. I wonder why it says "Sam Houston Area Council" on it.

17 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Interesting. I wonder why it says "Sam Houston Area Council" on it.

No idea, I vaguely remember her saying something about "the Americans helping" when they started up, but nothing more specific than that.

"Houston energy executive and Sam Houston Area Council board member Dan Ownby will serve as one of a 12-member committee of volunteers from around the world that represents more than 31 million Scouts from 220 countries and territories. His election was made at the recent World Scout Conference in Brazil—where it was also announced the 24th World Scout Jamboree will be held in the United States.

Ownby, a lifelong member of the Scout program, is an Eagle Scout, a member of the Boy Scouts of America’s honor society, Order of the Arrow, and has served in numerous Scouting positions in the Houston area—most recently as chairman of the council’s centennial camporee, SHACJam, which was attended by over 27,000 participants. Ownby is a member of the BSA’s International Committee and the U.S. Foundation for International Scouting, and has been active with international Scouting for over a decade.

His earliest connection with international Scouting dates back to a summer at the Cub Scout day camp in his hometown of Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he became acquainted with two international Scouts visiting from Holland. Much of his adult life has revolved around helping kids in the Scouting program and introducing Scouts from different parts of the world to Scouting opportunities. Ownby was instrumental in establishing an exchange program with Scouts from the Republic of Georgia. Through the 7-year-old exchange program, Scouts from the republic have had the opportunity to work with Scouts at camps in the Houston area, advancing their leadership skills and sharing their culture.

Ownby’s primary goal for the committee is to help nations utilize Scouting to develop their next generation of leaders. He commends the leadership provided by former World Scout Committee Chairman and former BSA National President Rick Cronk, who has laid the groundwork for building a program that will attract young people from around the world."

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, skeptic said:

This is described by the original poster as a Boy Scout viewer for an atomic explosion.  Can anyone shed light?

1946 Eye Shield Atomic B.jpg

An outdoor sport in the 50s was watching a Bomb tests - from a suitable distance and with eye protection to be sure.

• Like 1