Happy New Year.  Interesting pictures.  I'm not sure why the Scouts in the greeting card (top picture), and the fence on which they are leaning/sitting, seem to be floating in space.  And in the next-to-bottom picture (dated July 1952), what's with the salute that the Girl Scout is giving? (At least, I am assuming she is a Girl Scout.)  I have never seen that before.  I guess one might also ask, if the uniformed Boy Scout and Explorer are giving a salute, why isn't the uniformed soldier also saluting?

Wow times change. I remember when the Whole Scout Family* was Cub Scouts, Sea Scouts, Boy Scouts, Explorers, and Venturers. Now the Whole Scout Family is your own family.  :confused:

* Note:

@skeptic graphic of Whole Scout Family 1946 is from left to right - Cub Scout, Sea Scout, Air Scout, Explorer, and Boy Scout.

1 minute ago, RememberSchiff said:

I believe Air Scouts were re-designated Air Explorers after 1946.

Yes, I just looked it up, Air Scouts were 1941-1949, Air Explorers 1949-1965, so you're correct, that young man from 1946 is an Air Scout.

9 hours ago, skeptic said:

The one with the odd salute is the cover of an LDS magazine.  So, it may have something to do with them.  The card is actually British.

Exactly. The sash is not a girl scout sash, but rather a sash for the LDS girls youth organization of that time. Girls would get badges based on learning skills, scripture mastery, service, etc. They no longer use the sash. 

Edited by prof
32 minutes ago, prof said:

Exactly. The sash is not a girl scout sash, but rather a sash for the LDS girls youth organization of that time. Girls would get badges based on learning skills, scripture mastery, service, etc. They no longer use the sash. 

Thanks. My wife and I were puzzling over that earlier.  She said the sash and what was on it did not look much like the sash she wore as a Girl Scout, not to mention the girl in the picture isn’t wearing a uniform.

On 1/1/2018 at 6:06 PM, NJCubScouter said:

So you're saying that floating untethered in space is something that is unique to British Scouts and British fences?  :D

Yes, it's how we stop the sky cows from escaping. Handy tip: When camping in Britain, always check you aren't in a field under a herd of sky cows, they can make a right mess if they "pat" your tent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2