Star Wars: The Last Jedi and the Boy (Girl) Scouts of America

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only boys are allowed to bull's-eye womp-rats in their T-16's around here. Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating this thread is approximately 3,720 to 1. Anger, fear, aggression; the da

I have been avoiding reading this thread because I hadn't seen the movie. Earlier this evening, my wife and I saw it.  (I guess that has become our idea of a wild New Year's Eve date.) I bar

Posted Images

I didn't think it was possible to get six pages on this topic. :confused:

Let's face it, like Star Wars, the BSA faithful will stick around to see how things play out and then leave. The older among us will long for the wit and promise of "A New Hope". The younger among us will embrace the new even with all of its warts and poorly developed structure. Why? Because that's what society has become: Flair over substance.

I suspect there's a parallel between the Republic and BSA, or between Jar-Jar and Mike Saurbaugh, but I don't have time to make it.

• Upvote 2

The BSA and Lucasfilm both seem to be betting on the future rather than the past. Big risk, potentially big reward. And yes, even for Star Wars it's a risk, the franchise isn't invincible. There was already talk of people getting burned out on Star Wars before Last Jedi opened. 

Both organizations know that in order to endure in future generations, they need to figure out who their best audience will be, and not just play to the past and present audience. Both do seem to be forging ahead with a plan to create new fans, even if that means old fans lose interest. 

• Upvote 1
On 1/14/2018 at 8:10 PM, EmberMike said:

The BSA and Lucasfilm both seem to be betting on the future rather than the past. Big risk, potentially big reward. And yes, even for Star Wars it's a risk, the franchise isn't invincible. There was already talk of people getting burned out on Star Wars before Last Jedi opened. 

Both organizations know that in order to endure in future generations, they need to figure out who their best audience will be, and not just play to the past and present audience. Both do seem to be forging ahead with a plan to create new fans, even if that means old fans lose interest. 

The old fans have dropped thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on the property... tossing them away like rubbish is a rather distasteful business move.   But hey, this is the company that has basically tossed it's creator, Walt Disney, into the same rubbish bin.  The real question is, will the new fans hold onto Star Wars with endearment for 30+ years and also spend that money, or will they, like just about everything else in culture today, enjoy it for about 5 minutes and then move onto the next thing. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Gwaihir said:

The old fans have dropped thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on the property... tossing them away like rubbish is a rather distasteful business move...

Distasteful, yes. But whether it's a good or bad business move, that is yet to be seen. If the company believes that there is more money to be made in cultivating a new generation of fans rather than trying to appeal to the older generation, that's the way they're going to go. It's always about the money, and always will be. If they can make even $1 more on "new" Star Wars vs. old, they'll go with the new. 

Personally, no matter which type of Star Wars they go with, I don't think the merchandise demand will ever be like it was with the original films. Maybe in sales volume, but not in how fans sought after things from the films. It was a different time. People don't collect stuff like they used to, and merchandise back then was how you kept in touch with the film world between movie releases. Now we have movies on demand, the Internet, DVDs, etc., and merch isn't as valuable to the casual fan anymore. 

Edited by EmberMike

I'm one of those who has spent a lot of money on Star Wars. I now have kids. My kids were introduced to Star Wars by me. They know, "HAN SHOT FIRST!" They watch Clone Wars. They have read some of the children's Star Wars books. Thye have build Star Wars models.They were pumped. The prequels were ok with them but the last 2 movies have been, "Meh" They thought Leia's "Mary Poppins" act was ridiculous. The older 2 especially noticed a lot of the plot holes. They were not impressed. While they like the series overall, they are not fantaics anymore like I was at there age.