Star Wars: The Last Jedi and the Boy (Girl) Scouts of America

1 hour ago, gblotter said:

The best response to unwelcome changes is to vote with your dollars and with your feet. My financial support for Friends of Scouting has ceased, and 2018 will be my final year as a registered Scouter. That’s the beauty and power of a free market system. 

May the forest be with you.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only boys are allowed to bull's-eye womp-rats in their T-16's around here. Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating this thread is approximately 3,720 to 1. Anger, fear, aggression; the da

I have been avoiding reading this thread because I hadn't seen the movie. Earlier this evening, my wife and I saw it.  (I guess that has become our idea of a wild New Year's Eve date.) I bar

Posted Images

Ok, I'll probably see IX too since I like to brag that I've seen ANH opening weekend, and the rest opening day. Still wish I saw TPM at my secure undisclosed location instead of back home, despite the daiquiris (which made the movie better :) ).  David Prowse, aka Darth Vader, was at the theater that nite!

HMMM maybe I could convince the theater to get a liquor license before IX comes out? ;)

2 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

HMMM maybe I could convince the theater to get a liquor license before IX comes out? ;)

@Eagle94-A1 , no joke: the theater we went to had a bartender set up by the concession stand! I think being a museum, they have a liscence for "special events" anywhere in the building ... Including the theatre.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:39 AM, David CO said:

I saw the movie last week with the grandkids. I wouldn't have gone to see it except for my wanting to spend some time with the kids. I didn't like it at all.

All the things you say about the tone of the film is true. One thing you didn't mention is the film's anti-religion sub-theme. The film implies that religion is the cause of all strife, and that the only solution is to abandon the old religious writings and customs. 

Yes, I do see a parallel with BSA.

Yes, the anti-religion propaganda was another issue with this movie

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, Eagledad said:

I would like to get excited about the next Indiana Jones movie, but the last movie with aliens did me in. Harrison is too old and todays writers spend too much time developing the characters with dialog instead of action.

Barry

Oh come on Dad... it wasn't that far out there.  I didn't "really" enjoy it but it entertained me.  I hate that ole Shia LaBeouf went bat sh@t crazy, would have loved to see him take over the role.

And look at all the James Bond flicks.   Can anyone actually put them in (supposedly) chronological order?  When the Bond actor gets too old, you hire a younger actor.  Connery, Craig, Brosnan, who cares?   Ian Fleming has no say in it any more, if he ever did...   And I can't see ever having a Saturday Morning "Young Bond " series, can you? 

"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE  !"  

1 hour ago, SSScout said:

And look at all the James Bond flicks.   Can anyone actually put them in (supposedly) chronological order?  When the Bond actor gets too old, you hire a younger actor.  Connery, Craig, Brosnan, who cares?   Ian Fleming has no say in it any more, if he ever did...   And I can't see ever having a Saturday Morning "Young Bond " series, can you? 

Kylo Ren to Rey: “The Empire, your parents, the Resistance, the Sith, the Jedi . . . let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That’s the only way to become what you are meant to be.” 

1 hour ago, SSScout said:

I wish Sir Ian Fleming would have had a say. I bet he would have picked his buddy from his Naval  Intelligence days, Jon Pertwee, aka the Third Doctor, aka "the Dandy," to play Bond. THAT would have been real interesting.  At least SOE veteran Christopher Lee got a part in one of the films. I wonder if Pertwee would have given technical advice if he was Bond like Lee did for LotR?

I have been avoiding reading this thread because I hadn't seen the movie.

Earlier this evening, my wife and I saw it.  (I guess that has become our idea of a wild New Year's Eve date.)

I barely recognize the movie I just saw from many of the comments in this thread (including the Vanity Fair article.)  I thought it was a good movie, if somewhat derivative of Episode V.  There was no Jar Jar Binks and the Porgs were at least tolerable.  And there were more humorous moments in this one than any previous SW film, though my wife just told me that the humor is one of the reasons it has been criticized.  (I like humor.)  It also had a lot of action and adventure.  I liked that too.

To paraphrase the immortal words of William Shatner:  "It's a movie!"  And it should be evaluated on that basis.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
21 minutes ago, qwazse said:

I wasn't going to ask this, but  @NJCubScouter put porgs and Shatner in the same post ...

Did anyone else think "Trouble with Tribbles" when Chewy brought them onboard the Falcon?

Yes. I have a conspiracy theory - the newbie directors/producers taking over Star Trek/Star Wars franchises are throwing pacifiers to old fans who are upset at reusing previous plots, inconsistent or contradictory story lines and characters, overuse of CGI,...

I wonder if The Federation will respond to the Rebels distress call?

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, qwazse said:

I wasn't going to ask this, but  @NJCubScouter put porgs and Shatner in the same post ...

Did anyone else think "Trouble with Tribbles" when Chewy brought them onboard the Falcon?

I actually thought “Ewoks” when I saw the Porgs.  Fortunately the Porgs did not play a major role in the movie.

24 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Yes. I have a conspiracy theory - the newbie directors/producers taking over Star Trek/Star Wars franchises are throwing pacifiers to old fans who are upset at reusing previous plots, inconsistent or contradictory story lines and characters, overuse of CGI,...

I agree but I think there was still a good amount here that was reminiscent of the original trilogy. But mostly for good reasons and not just needless repetition.

One thing I think they have done for the fans (in the last two films) is to go back to the “mystery” of The Force rather than the midichlorians, which I think is one of the worst ideas in the history of film-making.  

I wonder if The Federation will respond to the Rebels distress call?

Nah, Star Wars is set “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.” No Federation. :)

2 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

One thing I think they have done for the fans (in the last two films) is to go back to the “mystery” of The Force rather than the midichlorians, which I think is one of the worst ideas in the history of film-making.  

True, but I thought the Jedi celibacy thing was even more ridiculous. They strongly inferred that the ability to become a Jedi is a characteristic passed from father to son, and then they made the Jedi celibate. I think Hollywood was just trying to take another cheap shot at the Catholic priesthood, no matter how incongruous it was to the original story line.

I'm not a big fan of the Star Wars prequels and sequels.

Edited by David CO