Girl Scout Camp/Organization Better than BSA?

3 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Cub scout day camps in my area are all volunteer driven.  Yes - that are not that expensive, but the people organizing them spend months getting ready for one week.  They beg and beg for volunteers to help.  Ours is held at a local city or state park

Girl Scout day camps are more like BSA summer camps.  They are professionally organized and in my neck of the woods are staffed like summer camp - i.e., they have older girls serve on staff over the summer and they get a small stipend.  Around here, they are held at Girl Scout camps. 

So, I think it depends on what factors are important to a given family.  Cub Scout day camp is certainly more economical.  However, they've stopped holding Cub Scout day camp around here because getting volunteers is such an enormous task that no-one wants to take it on anymore.

All the day camps in my Council & another Council near me pays their staff. They only have around 10 volunteers a week, and around 30 paid staff.

The daycamp I staffed was at a local reservation.

15 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

All the day camps in my Council & another Council near me pays their staff. They only have around 10 volunteers a week, and around 30 paid staff.

The daycamp I staffed was at a local reservation.

CIT's too?  :o

@ItsBrian, how much does your council charge for day camp? I know that when I went to NCS and first found out about paid day camp staff, the day camp could cost as much as Boy Scout resident camp. Back when I was a DCPD, cost was $65, $75 with late fee, and no one was paid. Cost is now a whopping $85, and still all volunteers.

6 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

@ItsBrian, how much does your council charge for day camp? I know that when I went to NCS and first found out about paid day camp staff, the day camp could cost as much as Boy Scout resident camp. Back when I was a DCPD, cost was $65, $75 with late fee, and no one was paid. Cost is now a whopping $85, and still all volunteers.

The one I work(ed) (hopefully again this summer), this year is charging $336 for a CS, $356 for a non member, and it’s less for a tiger/parent, but still in the hundreds.

12 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

Our district charges $170 for the week, or $150 if you register at least 30 days before the event. Having attended with my Den for the past two years, I can't say it's entirely worth the cost. :dry:

What kind of programs do they have?