College Reserve Registration Fees?

This year we have 4 recent Eagles that we are carrying forward under the College Reserve category.  This category is helpful, since it does not require the training an ASM or other stipulations might.  However, while some are not particularly affected by the fee, I wonder if there should be a limited waiving of it if the individual is actively attending, possibly not to exceed "x" number of years and verification of actual full time attendance.  Just a thought.  Comments invited.

Sounds like you're making this hard. If the fee's a burden for any adult you'd care to keep, find someone who'll pay it for them. Our troop has now decided to pay registrations for any adult volunteers out of fundraising. I disagree with this, so I send a $40 "donation" with my registration. No regrets.

You know that this doesn't have to be about college? A guy might be holding down two jobs to support the family while he's an apprentice. You might get as many weekends out of that kind of erstwhile scout as you would out of a scout in college.

We have 12 Eagle Scouts that will hopefully carry forward under the College Reserve category. I'm planning on paying for my son to continue and I'm all but positive that the other dads are planning on doing the same thing. I don't see the $40 as a big issue. It's worth it for someone (dad or Scout) to pay this just to have the ability to go camping with the Troop whenever they please. (plus YPT)

1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

Qwazse, what you say is reasonable, but I think it's still a legitimate question about whether they should be charging a fee for this category.  But there is probably very little chance that they will change it.

I don't know why they wouldn't charge a fee. Just a few years ago, the same type of scout would be promoted to ASM and maintained on the roster in that position indefinitely. No training necessary. When the fee was ~$10, paying for these young  adults was a trivial proposition for most troops.

I guess it is all part of the larger issue of why ANY volunteer should have to pay to volunteer, not just for a uniform or a book or other tangible things, but an actual membership fee for the organization they are volunteering.  But I know I am just talking crazy talk now.

• Haha 2