Eagle Scout aids victims at Today's Amtrak Crash in WA

I cannot imagine what this guy saw.

"Daniel Konzelman was one of thousands of commuters barreling along a highway outside Seattle on Monday morning when the emergency response training he learned as an Eagle Scout kicked in."

http://komonews.com/news/local/commuters-help-people-out-of-derailed-train-comfort-victims

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, perdidochas said:

I saw him on ABC this morning.  He's one of the reasons we do what we do as Scouters. To produce young men who do the right thing at the right time whenever possible.  

I sent the link to my troop, seems to be a fine young man.

• 11 months later...

Update: A year later, a changed life and more...

“That (day) was a huge turning point in my life … I felt like it was an arrow pointing me in the direction where I want to go,” Konzelman said.

Konzelman was born and raised in Puyallup, growing alongside four brothers and one sister. Konzelman and his brothers were all Boy Scouts who earned their Eagle Scout ranks.

Growing up, he jumped to help those who needed it. On more than one occasion, he responded to car crashes on the road outside his home in Puyallup.

“I think just the way that I’m wired: If I see something that needs to be done and I don’t see somebody doing it immediately or doing it well, I just tend to jump in and do it,” he said.

But when it came to choosing a career, he planned to become an accountant. He graduated from Northwest University in 2017 with his bachelor’s degree in finance and again in 2018 with his master’s in business management. He got a job in accounting while going to school.

After the derailment, all that changed.

“I wanted to do something that helped people, that made a difference,” he said. “Firefighter kept coming up at the top of the list. I said, ‘You know what — why not at least give it a try?’”

He started working part time, which allowed him to land a volunteer firefighter position with the Buckley Fire Department. He’s currently working through EMT school and will start fire academy in January. By June, he’ll graduate and be eligible to go on calls. He hopes to land a paid position soon.

More details in great article:

http://www.thedailyworld.com/news/a-year-after-deadly-train-crash-puyallup-man-says-helping-the-injured-changed-his-life/

• Upvote 1