Display Names, Scout Law, and Common Sense

5 hours ago, qwazse said:

Motion: that posts in this thread since Safurday afternoon move to Forum Support.

Suggested title: Names and By-Lines

I second this motion!

I think we have wandered a bit from the title of the thread!

13 hours ago, numbersnerd said:

Documentation for this and other rumors, err, rules is located where?

Common courtesy would suggest that one should not call themselves a moderator if they are not such. If the mods need to put that rule in writing, then I guess we will soon see a "sticky" stating such.

Impersonating a mod has been an offense that often results in the offender being banned for probably as long as message boards have been around. I can recall such since at least the mid 90s.

47 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

Common courtesy would suggest that one should not call themselves a moderator if they are not such. If the mods need to put that rule in writing, then I guess we will soon see a "sticky" stating such.

Impersonating a mod has been an offense that often results in the offender being banned for probably as long as message boards have been around. I can recall such since at least the mid 90s.

Common courtesy would dictate that if you are going to present something as a rule, it should be a rule, not a nebulous, unreferenced concept. And have it where anyone using the board can see it.

Impersonation? That's a pretty strong accusation. If someone was using a false moderator "title" to persuade, dissuade, or otherwise influence others, that might amount to something. But thus far there is nothing to indicate that was the case.