Display Names, Scout Law, and Common Sense

Nope, Heretic and Stosh are old Internet nicknames I was given when I was a moderator on other forums.  Just used them over the years.  Neither are at all complimentary..

I find it rather unfortunate that judging covers of books has become the ultimate sport in today's society.

There.... I think that's better.

Edited by Stosh
37 minutes ago, Stosh said:

Nope, Heretic and Stosh are old Internet nicknames I was given when I was a moderator on other forums.  Just used them over the years.  Neither are at all complimentary..

One can only wonder why the other forums gave you uncomplementary nicknames.

I don't, I was a moderator on a number  of highly charged forums.   There were other "titles" that were even to the point of derogatory and demeaning.  I couldn't use them on this forum.  So I stuck with the ones my moderator friends and I bantered around behind the scenes. 

If one only wonders why certain things are one way or another without making a judgment?  Try reading the book, not  just the cover.

Scouter.com members choose their own display names, assuming that name is not already in use in this community.  What names you had on other forums are irrelevant.

Members can also change their display name. "You are permitted to make 3 changes in a 30-day period."  Just a matter of going into Settings and changing your Display Name.

As I recall, one member changed his scouter.com member name to Lurkin (sp?) earlier this year for awhile. I don't know why. Changing names causes confusion in the community.

Hope this helps.

Edited by RememberSchiff
correction regarding new software

Oh. I have never participated on any other forum, so I had no idea how they work. I'm really not into internet stuff. I still don't understand how to use most of the features of this site.

As for nicknames, I have never understood why anyone would accept an uncomplimentary nickname. 

Better check out the bugs in the system, there's nothing that says one is restricted in anyway from putting whatever title they wish on the input screen title.  One is restricted to only one screen ID, but that can change occasionally to a new unused ID. and the word moderators and members are affixed below the avatar. 

The point being, as long as one stays within the rules, they should be okay unless someone comes around making up new rules along the way that suits them.

This then takes this thread back to where it belongs, 

• Downvote 2
8 minutes ago, David CO said:

I understand why you identify the moderators in the title line. Why do you have titles for junior members, members, and senior members? Does it have any meaning?

Software feature. I don't know if Administrators can change those default title names across the board or the necessary number of posts for those titles.

Edited by RememberSchiff

And this is why some of the better members of the forum are no longer on the forum.

The point being, I was well within the rules... of which I was being challenged by a one used title "heretic", which is what this thread is all about and I was using the rules of the forum that even when one operates within the rules, there are some who are going to take offense, i.e. a moderator.  This is clearly pointed out by the negative arrow for making a perfectly acceptable, according to the rule, statement that offended someone i.e. a different moderator. 

BSA has rules the same way Terry has set up the forum.  Yet as long as one stays within the boundaries of the forum, it's no big thing.  Some rules are restricted by the software same as membership formalities in BSA.  Then there are policies set forth by BSA and Terry.  Scout Law, Oath and such, no big deal.  Then there's the scouters and moderators who make sure people aren't coloring outside the lines.

So, no one got upset when I used the title title BSA Heretic, nor the change of my ID to Stosh.  But now when one points out the fact that there are those in the BSA who feel it okay to make up heavy handed rules to accommodate their own agendas, it would seem the same practice applies to the forum.

How far does this go?  Moderators going in and modifying profiles, that's how far. 

This is why some of the best aren't around on this forum anymore.

By the way, this questionable practice is how Ms. Ireland is going to get her Eagle. 

it's well within the scope of the thread and it might step on a few toes, but then, if profiles get moderated, I'm sure there won't be any breach of Scout Law to go in and alter someone else's post.

5 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

No, it isn’t. You cannot have “Moderator” in your title.  You are now just “Premier,” at least until you change it.  That’s a pretty lofty title anyway.

Documentation for this and other rumors, err, rules is located where?

5 hours ago, Stosh said:

And this is why some of the better members of the forum are no longer on the forum.

The point being, I was well within the rules... of which I was being challenged by a one used title "heretic", which is what this thread is all about and I was using the rules of the forum that even when one operates within the rules, there are some who are going to take offense, i.e. a moderator.  This is clearly pointed out by the negative arrow for making a perfectly acceptable, according to the rule, statement that offended someone i.e. a different moderator. 

BSA has rules the same way Terry has set up the forum.  Yet as long as one stays within the boundaries of the forum, it's no big thing.  Some rules are restricted by the software same as membership formalities in BSA.  Then there are policies set forth by BSA and Terry.  Scout Law, Oath and such, no big deal.  Then there's the scouters and moderators who make sure people aren't coloring outside the lines.

So, no one got upset when I used the title title BSA Heretic, nor the change of my ID to Stosh.  But now when one points out the fact that there are those in the BSA who feel it okay to make up heavy handed rules to accommodate their own agendas, it would seem the same practice applies to the forum.

How far does this go?  Moderators going in and modifying profiles, that's how far. 

This is why some of the best aren't around on this forum anymore.

By the way, this questionable practice is how Ms. Ireland is going to get her Eagle. 

it's well within the scope of the thread and it might step on a few toes, but then, if profiles get moderated, I'm sure there won't be any breach of Scout Law to go in and alter someone else's post.

You are NOT now nor have you ever been a moderator on this forum under any of the various display names you have created and used: jblake, Stosh, Heretic, Lurkin.

A trustworthy scouter would not claim to be what he is not. Scout Law. 

A person with common sense would not claim to be what he is not.

Pending moderator review.

Edited by RememberSchiff
14 hours ago, Stosh said:

This is clearly pointed out by the negative arrow for making a perfectly acceptable, according to the rule, statement that offended someone i.e. a different moderator. 

The "negative arrow" would seem to be perfectly acceptable as well since it is an intentional design of this forum; and anyone can use the "negative arrow" not just mods.