5th grade Boy Scout uses Heimlich to save classmate.

29 minutes ago, Stosh said:

5th Grader, 10 years old, 10 MB's? Cit in the Nation?  First Aid? Maybe the Eagle Mills can do something positive after all.  Or maybe this is a one-in-a-million Scout.  :)  Well done!

First Aid MB was on the trail to 1st Class in the 70s. I often encourage our 1st-years to take it as it reinforces a bunch of skills.  Plus when I clunk over, there's no guarantee that the guys with EMT certification will be anywhere nearby!

A scout should have opportunities to earn 10 MBs in as many months. To me that doesn't make a MB mill. It makes a troop that explained clearly to kids how to earn MBs. When that message clicks, we get a number of first-years moving out of the gate completing MBs faster than advancing rank.

Then, they realize that they need to master some scout skills for their next two or three ovals, then put some serious time in leadership development for the three after that. That's when the MB accumulation slows down to a trickle.

Basically, when you don't press 1st-class-1st-year, a middle-schooler's nature abhors a vacuum, and he will fill it with something.

I wasn't complaining.  The boy on the video seemed calm and articulate.  I push Swimming and First Aid with my boys at their first summer camp.  I have nothing against going for MB's.  After all, they're more fun than the ovals.  From the interview I was quite impressed with the lad and having just "observed" the Heimlich, he did a great job putting it together and pulling it off.  I would love to have a kid like this in my troop.

By the way, it is obvious he has the desire to take care of others (take care of your boys) and sets a great example (lead by example).  I would have no problem having this kid as the PL of the NSP if they selected him. 

Edited by Stosh