Jump to content
RememberSchiff

Ireland seeks Eagle now before she ages out

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

I hope his son or daughter know first aid.

I think he just broke his arm patting himself on the back.

It's on his professional website. You've never written a resume or filled in a LinkedIn profile I take it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

It's on his professional website. You've never written a resume or filled in a LinkedIn profile I take it? 

No, never.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've sent my letters in support of Sydney and I stand by my statments here and in those letters.

Based on this thread I can say that I'm infinitely more supportive of the Irelands than I am of some of the sentiments expressed here, and certainly the jabs at the family because of their financial status or various other personal or professional aspects of their lives, not to mention the ripping apart of Sydney's motivations to earn Eagle, something I doubt very many boys are ever subjected to.  

Occasionally this forum strikes me as one of the most un-scout-like environments a person could encounter. This thread is certainly a case study in that phenomenon. 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much like replacing facts with emotion, replacing objective standards with relative ones never ends well. The end result is a morass from which it gets increasingly difficult, then impossible, to extract yourself from.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

I've sent my letters in support of Sydney and I stand by my statments here and in those letters.

Based on this thread I can say that I'm infinitely more supportive of the Irelands than I am of some of the sentiments expressed here, and certainly the jabs at the family because of their financial status or various other personal or professional aspects of their lives, not to mention the ripping apart of Sydney's motivations to earn Eagle, something I doubt very many boys are ever subjected to.  

Occasionally this forum strikes me as one of the most un-scout-like environments a person could encounter. This thread is certainly a case study in that phenomenon. 

Good for you, we are all entitled to our opinion.

Based on the comments and tactics of the Ireland's, I don't think it unreasonable or un-Scoutllike, to be circumspect of the request for special considerations. If it is then I will gladly wear that mantle.

Enough of this nonsense, I need to go do that Googly thing and figure out what a Linked-in is and what a resume if for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

Sometimes Scouts need to be un-scout-like to defend what is theirs. 

Leaving aside the question whether that is ever true, it is not true in this forum.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

Sometimes Scouts need to be un-scout-like to defend what is theirs. 

Sometimes being Trustworthy,  and Loyal will appear to others as being unKind or unFriendly to others. Sometimes being Helpful will make you appear disCourteous and unKind. And I can go on and on.

I do my best to live up to the Oath and Law. But try to insult or hurt My Scouts you need to watch out. I personally think allowing girls into Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts is the worse mistake ever, and one that is irrevocable unlike 1972's Improved Scout Program. I think it will hurt boys, and even the CSE made comments to that effect. That is why they want a separate girls program.

But we all know that a separate but equal program will not work. BSA IMHO is compounding this mistake.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary Ireland (her father): "The Eagle rank gets you into colleges and gets you, it is one of the few things you can put on your resume from high school that will help you get a job. There are companies that look for Eagle Scouts."....."We need the international community to put pressure on the Scouts."

 

So he sent her of to South Africa to pursue that resume bump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Leaving aside the question whether that is ever true, it is not true in this forum.

How manny scouts are former military or cops or politicians. It’s impossible to be Scout like all the time so yes it would be true that you can’t be Scout like all the time. We try to be but can’t always be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, numbersnerd said:

Much like replacing facts with emotion, replacing objective standards with relative ones never ends well. The end result is a morass from which it gets increasingly difficult, then impossible, to extract yourself from.

That's what I've been saying about what happens as long as rank advancement is muddled with identity as much as achievement. Thanks for making my point for me.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, numbersnerd said:

Much like replacing facts with emotion, replacing objective standards with relative ones never ends well. The end result is a morass from which it gets increasingly difficult, then impossible, to extract yourself from.

 

 

I had to read that a couple times before I realized I agreed with that. :) signed..the plodding turtle of orthodoxy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×