Ireland seeks Eagle now before she ages out

1 minute ago, RememberSchiff said:

Hard to know with her father. He may be quoted out of context, frustrated with the response or lack of response from National,  being a Dad, or being a jerk.

If he is a corporate lawyer I think he is quite aware of what he says and how he says it. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we need to remember a couple of things here: 1.   The BSA, as far as I know, has not responded to Ms. Ireland's request.  Therefore, any comments along the line about how National has dev

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/08/10/girl-wants-to-join-boy-scouts/ Ireland says her main reason for becoming a Boy Scout is to receive the Eagle Scout ranking, which she believes will help her

I don't know where this idea came from (probably the BSA.) But it does harm to people and to the program.  Eagle Scout is not some silver bullet for teenagers. If your grades suck, Eagle Scout wo

Posted Images

This family is BSA's version of the Kardashians or the Balls (for any NBA fans). Young girl just keeps asking to be a Boy Scout (and now Eagle Scout) while father continues to bad mouth BSA--all the while orchestrating a steady stream of photo ops and interviews.

She could go to Jambo as a Venturer--with no drama. But, no, now she wants to go to Jambo as a Boy Scout.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just noting that as I say this, I have the official moderator stun-gun in my hand, metaphorically speaking.

This thread has devolved into name-calling of a 16-year-old girl.  That has to stop, now.

You can disagree with what she has said, or asks for, as others have done, including me.  That's sufficient for the discussion.  The name-calling crosses the line.

I'm putting down my stun-gun now (for now), but I don't think it's appropriate to be calling her father names, either.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Col. Flagg said:

That would have to be some really good positive context left out to make THOSE quotes look better. He flat out trashed them. The rest of his comments would have to be rainbows and unicorns about BSA to make up for that.

Really? He said,. "“It is outrageous and embarrassing ..."

I've read much worse things said about Nationals on this message board - some from people in this thread.

3 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

Really? He said,. "“It is outrageous and embarrassing ..."

I've read much worse things said about Nationals on this message board - some from people in this thread.

Well, he said much more than that if you quote the full context.

Let's be clear, it is much different to say things here in a semi-anonymous forum than to be quoted directly when you want something from national. I am sure we all would hold our tongues much more if we were being quoted in the press, so you can imagine what the father is saying privately.

• Upvote 2

And when all the dust settles, BSA National can do anything it wishes to do and we all know how smoothly that plays out in the program.

Honorary degrees are just as valid as earned degrees.  They are only issued on a PR basis to promote the institutions that give them out.  This "precedent" is as American as apple pie.  Never underestimate the workings of an organized committee of any size or nature.

@Stosh "just as valid"...what do you mean. Yes they are an honorific but beyond that do not convey anything but recognition not that they completed any coursework. An honorary degree in law for example will not put you on the road to practice. Maybe I am missing something. 

I remember when I was at a state university they were usually handed out when the famous speaker came out at commencement and was willing to take a lower speakers fee usually because they had a relative graduating as well that day...was really a pot sweetener.

• Upvote 1

It holds the same title as PHD in anything else.  Usually the honorary PHD is in some obscure discipline like Humanities.  Then a PHD in Liberal Arts is just about the same.

My official title is Rev., but anyone who gets a certificate off the internet can use that title as well.  It took me four years of post-graduate work, not just a few clicks of the mouse. 

Buyer beware, one gets what they paid for.  Check the fine print.  Your mileage may vary.... probably does in many situations.

@Stosh...when the University where I work awards honorary doctorates, it's usually a Doctor of Humane Letters (LHD), not a PhD.  When we advertise for faculty, we specify an earned doctorate in an appropriate field...anyone without an earned doctorate, who was given an honorary one and then insisted on being called "Doctor" would get laughed at for sure.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Stosh said:

My official title is Rev., but anyone who gets a certificate off the internet can use that title as well.  It took me four years of post-graduate work, not just a few clicks of the mouse. 

I am far from an expert on that subject, but I would think that what you would get for those four years would be either a M.Div. or a D.Min., or some other advanced degree, none of which you can get with a few clicks of the mouse.

14 hours ago, Chisos said:

@Stosh...when the University where I work awards honorary doctorates, it's usually a Doctor of Humane Letters (LHD), not a PhD.  When we advertise for faculty, we specify an earned doctorate in an appropriate field...anyone without an earned doctorate, who was given an honorary one and then insisted on being called "Doctor" would get laughed at for sure.

I have noticed that many university commencement speakers receive an Honorary LL.D. (Doctor of Laws), but a quick Internet search indicates that U.S. law schools NEVER award an earned LL.D., so in this country it is ONLY an honorary degree.  If you apply to take a bar exam having received only an LL.D., that isn't going to fly.  You have to have a J.D. (Juris Doctor).

14 hours ago, Stosh said:

Well, a lot of people would take umbrage at that.  Why have an honorary title if it isn't used.  Colonel Sanders did it for years and no one laughed.

Presumably "Colonel" Sanders never showed up at a military installation requesting that he be given command of a unit based on his rank of "Colonel."