Using lure of becoming Eagle Scout to recruit Girls

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't ever consider not getting Eagle a failure.  I was 2nd Class, and yet the mantra I live by is "help other people at all times".  6000+ hours, 6 Red Cross disaster relief operations averaging

I fear the eagle has already been lightened up significantly.  I have seen many scouts come back from a merit badge colleges (a one day event) with 2 completed merit badges that should take, at minimu

I agree with what most said, however I think marketing it to the girls that they can become Eagle Scouts is something they rightfully should promote. The gold award doesn't have that universal recogni

44 minutes ago, Stosh said:

I love the tag line that emphasizes that the girls can earn Eagle so as to emphasize that's the most important thing when it comes to the "older girls program".

Yes... that is the new normal.  Forget the aim to get Scouts to First Class, now EVERYONE will be an Eagle.  There will no doubt be a really neat trophy.

I am just waiting for the first girl who obviously cannot make Eagle in the timeframe she has, being given a lighter trail to Eagle so as not to disadvantage her because of BSA's lack of speed in implementation. You know that will happen. Some hover-parent is going to blame BSA that their 16 year old daughter cannot possibly make Eagle in two years and how "unfair" that is. Just wait.

• Upvote 1

What BSA needs to do is have a special program for helicopter parents that allows their children the fast-track to Eagle.  I highly doubt it will deteriorate the bragging rights prestige of the Eagle anymore than it already has.  After all, they have done it to AOL, why not Eagle.  Correct me if I'm wrong... Sign up for "Boy" Scouts, do a "leadership project", jump through a few hoops, and VOILA Eagle rank in 6 months!  After all, no one really wants to spend a few months in the mail room before becoming CEO of an organization.  The world has changed, people, it's time we adapt to this new culture we live in.. we gptta be in step with what's new and modern... so I've been told many times on this forum.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Yes... that is the new normal.  Forget the aim to get Scouts to First Class, now EVERYONE will be an Eagle.  There will no doubt be a really neat trophy.

Like a participation trophy? maybe?

8 minutes ago, Stosh said:

What BSA needs to do is have a special program for helicopter parents that allows their children the fast-track to Eagle.  I highly doubt it will deteriorate the bragging rights prestige of the Eagle anymore than it already has.  After all, they have done it to AOL, why not Eagle.  Correct me if I'm wrong... Sign up for "Boy" Scouts, do a "leadership project", jump through a few hoops, and VOILA Eagle rank in 6 months!  After all, no one really wants to spend a few months in the mail room before becoming CEO of an organization.  The world has changed, people, it's time we adapt to this new culture we live in.. we gptta be in step with what's new and modern... so I've been told many times on this forum.

Well, unless they've changed the leadership requirement for Eagle recently, but leadership projects currently don't count for Eagle leadership positions.

Hold a POR for 6 months, that's why it will take 6 months to complete.  :)  Remember Librarian is a POR.  So is Bugler.  A quick trip to a MB Fair should be able to double down on the 21 MB's.  It just depends on how focused the Helicopter Parent is and whether the Scout will be able to handle the pressure.

4 minutes ago, Stosh said:

Hold a POR for 6 months, that's why it will take 6 months to complete.  :)  Remember Librarian is a POR.  So is Bugler.  A quick trip to a MB Fair should be able to double down on the 21 MB's.  It just depends on how focused the Helicopter Parent is and whether the Scout will be able to handle the pressure.

Don't think Bugler counts for Eagle either. ;) But point taken. 

"Assistant patrol leader and bugler are not approved positions of responsibility for the Eagle Scout rank. Likewise, a unit leader–assigned leadership project should not be used in lieu of serving in a position of responsibility."

Edited by Col. Flagg

And this is why all you all need to call your district commish in 2019 and sign up to be UC's for your district's new BSA4G troops.

Cross-reference the thread on quality control. It's in your hands or not at all.

The tough nut to crack will be the girl who has been working amicably as a first class scout (concept not the patch) all along -- leading and serving all the while, albeit unofficially, in a BSA troop. And it will probably be some erstwhile hardliner, who upon meeting such a scout, will be her staunchest advocate.

That's why I would prefer the membership requirement for BSA4G be something like "Be a girl born after January 1, 2008." (I.e., these troops start with crossovers who grow into the official program from there.) But, I suppose that poses its own can of worms.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Stosh said:

Like a participation trophy? maybe?

One can only hope.  It will need to be presented and documented NO later than Fall of their Senior year of High School so it can be included on the college apps, spring of Junior year if they are applying early.

34 minutes ago, qwazse said:

And this is why all you all need to call your district commish in 2019 and sign up to be UC's for your district's new BSA4G troops.

Cross-reference the thread on quality control. It's in your hands or not at all.

The tough nut to crack will be the girl who has been working amicably as a first class scout (concept not the patch) all along -- leading and serving all the while, albeit unofficially, in a BSA troop. And it will probably be some erstwhile hardliner, who upon meeting such a scout, will be her staunchest advocate.

That's why I would prefer the membership requirement for BSA4G be something like "Be a girl born after January 1, 2008." (I.e., these troops start with crossovers who grow into the official program from there.) But, I suppose that poses its own can of worms.

Seriously, I am in a quandary right now if at my age, I want to invest that much time and energy into trying to fix BSA's agenda of being politically correct.  There are plenty of other co-ed programs that have been around for many years that have gone about the process in a more honest way, like saying they are co-ed right from the beginning.  Switching horses in the middle of the stream has been a historical mantra for years to avoid such negative results.

It takes a minimum of 19 months to earn Eagle.

1 month for Tenderfoot's Physical Fitness (PF)requirement

4 Weeks ( 28 days) for Second Class and it's PF requirement

4 weeks  for First Class and it's PF requirement

4 months for Star

6 for Life

6 for Eagle

So technically 18 Months and 26 or 27 Days, not including Leap Year. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately that doesn't hold true to course.  One does not need to earn the Webelos badge in order to get AOL.  To be fair that means one doesn't need to earn Life to become an Eagle.  Sure, Cubs receive awards, not rankings, but everyone knows that... right?  The first Helicopter Parent looking to get their daughter into Yale or Harvard isn't going to let a little technicality like that get in the way.

56 minutes ago, qwazse said:

I wouldn’t want her to make Eagle for the simple reason that nearly all requirements require you to be Boy Scout when you do them. If the rules start being bent and waived to get girls or anyone else Eagle all you’re doing is cheapening what all Eagles have accomplished. You might as well fold the tent now because no guy I know will want to be part of that poor excuse of a program.