Alamo Area Council (TX) first? to register girls in Cubs

An interesting video. Sounds like going from a current Boy Pack to a 'early adopter' Family (co-ed) Pack sounds like the nuclear launch code sequence. (Pins must be entered in a certain order).

I think there will be pressure on existing All Boy Packs to switch to Family Packs as NOW Pack overnighters for Boy Packs must have ALL Male leaders. Most Packs I know have more Mom's than Dad's as leaders. Not sure if some of those Mom's who still want an All Boy unit gonna like that policy.

Not sure why there is a truncated schedule...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish National would NOT call this the "Family Scouting Pilot Program."  Maybe to National, "family" means sons and daughters, but to most people "family" includes the parents as well.  As far as I c

New Assistant Chief Scout Executive and new Division Directors? I am glad they are hiring people to oversee the changes, But I hate to see new levels of administration added, when resources could be s

I read it differently.  Two adults are needed.  At least one of those two must be 21.  At least one must be a YPT trained female.   You could meet the requirement with just two people.  

Posted Images

So will Friends of Scouting funding raising need to be increased to pay for these new Council positions or will it be a re-arranging the deck chair kind of thing? Or better yet perhaps now some generous corporation is funding the money?

For years I used to work in public transit (now that is a tougher business than scouting) and before a referendum we might beef up service and promotions to increase ridership before the election only to have the whole unsustainable house of cards collapse eventually. Now I am not wishing that on BSA while I have mixed feelings about BS4G now that the decision is made I hope to be proven wrong. BUT I suspect that National is hoping to get some good PR, ride the feel good feeling up into World Jambo and then a year or two after a lot of these professionals are gonna start being laid off. Like I said --I hope I am wrong and I have been wrong before-- but my spider sense is telling me this is the financial balloon getting blown up before it starts to pop.

An interesting thing is that GSUSA which as a national organization is on shaky ground (and I really like Girl Scouts) does start to falter about the same time BSA will get part of the blame regardless.

In any case a different National 'Key 3' will get to pick up the pieces. Maybe there will be enough STEM Scouts to have a national High Adventure Cyber Camp somewhere.

15 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

So will Friends of Scouting funding raising need to be increased to pay for these new Council positions or will it be a re-arranging the deck chair kind of thing? Or better yet perhaps now some generous corporation is funding the money?

For years I used to work in public transit (now that is a tougher business than scouting) and before a referendum we might beef up service and promotions to increase ridership before the election only to have the whole unsustainable house of cards collapse eventually. Now I am not wishing that on BSA while I have mixed feelings about BS4G now that the decision is made I hope to be proven wrong. BUT I suspect that National is hoping to get some good PR, ride the feel good feeling up into World Jambo and then a year or two after a lot of these professionals are gonna start being laid off. Like I said --I hope I am wrong and I have been wrong before-- but my spider sense is telling me this is the financial balloon getting blown up before it starts to pop.

An interesting thing is that GSUSA which as a national organization is on shaky ground (and I really like Girl Scouts) does start to falter about the same time BSA will get part of the blame regardless.

In any case a different National 'Key 3' will get to pick up the pieces. Maybe there will be enough STEM Scouts to have a national High Adventure Cyber Camp somewhere.

Not sure how your local council works, I assumed it was the same everywhere.

Friends of Scouting campaigns stay local.  100% of ours goes to our Local council and camps.  Only money National sees is our $33 registration fee (maybe that's why it went up?)

35 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I think there will be pressure on existing All Boy Packs to switch to Family Packs as NOW Pack overnighters for Boy Packs must have ALL Male leaders. Most Packs I know have more Mom's than Dad's as leaders. Not sure if some of those Mom's who still want an All Boy unit gonna like that policy.

That's not what I heard.  The speaker said there must be male and female leaders on every Cub Scout outing, unless, the outing is all boys or all girls.  Then, the leadership may be all of the same gender.

New_Bitmap_Image.bmp

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking the rules will follow the existing rules of co-ed in the other programs.

However, the problem will now arise that every girl den will need 2 female leaders and vice versa for boys.  Before ya know it, we're gonna need the Cliff Notes for War and Peace to keep track of who's who.

7 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

That's not what I heard.  The speaker said there must be male and female leaders on every Cub Scout outing, unless, the outing is all boys or all girls.  Then, the leadership may be all of the same gender.

New_Bitmap_Image.bmp

Two male leaders for a female den?  Highly unlikely, but it's going to be acceptable to have 2 female leaders for a male den.  Just watch and see.  This is going to get ugly.

I was referring to Pack Den and Webelos Overnighters. That is how I interpreted it. Seems like they are making it harder for single genders. It has been a few years since cub scouts...is that the rule now? If the Webelos Den/Patrol did a overnighter now do all the adult leaders be all men? 

12 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I was referring to Pack Den and Webelos Overnighters. That is how I interpreted it. Seems like they are making it harder for single genders. It has been a few years since cub scouts...is that the rule now? If the Webelos Den/Patrol did a overnighter now do all the adult leaders be all men? 

I do believe that an adult parent must accompany all Cub over-nighters.  What difference does it make then unless only dads can go if it's a male den and moms when it's a female den.  What if 2 male Cubs want to bunk together and one boy is accompanied by dad and the other mom?  Now we're up to mega tent cities if there's 3 tents required for 2 families.  One's going to need a 500 page reference book to keep track of all the new policies pertaining to how this all shakes out.  Or worse yet if non-custodial step-dad shows up with a step-daugther.....

Edited by Stosh

Regarding two deep leadership, anyone notice the double standard?   An all boys den only needs 'One registered leader and one other adult, one of which must be 21 years old" whereas an all girl den requires "One registered leader and one other adult, one of which must be 21 years old, and  a Youth Protection trained adult female must be present." (bold for emphasis, underline in original)

See the screen capture from the video.

image.png.4c281c87d49b7775d0a51dfc3aa7b574.png

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Upvote 1

I'll be interested to see how single sex dens end up working out in practice in these early adopters.  I'm assuming it will be a royal pain and we'll end up with coed dens all over the place.

Edited by ParkMan
Typos on phone
  • Upvote 1