Snow - good or bad

31 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Outside, the snow is clean and peaceful.

You do  realize that s n o w is a four letter word that I disapprove of? ;) And the only reason we have it is because the referees Falcons beat the Saints Thursday. WHO DAT!

• Haha 1

Y'all stop stealing our football weather! Just, ask, we're more than happy to share.:D

Napping now to see if the Steelers (those still standing) can give the Ravens a warm winter welcome.

In related news, Pitt's campus (among other colleges) have become late autumn havens for crows. Sidewalks glisten with new fallen guano ... https://www.utimes.pitt.edu/?p=41440 

What is this "snow" of which you people speak? :huh:

LOL nah I went to college in the Rocky Mountains and had to endure years of that awful stuff. Thank goodness I escaped back home to Orange County! It is currently 2:24 pm, and outside it is a balmy 83 degrees. :cool:

9 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

I'm originally from New Orleans. Only twice in my memory has NO,LA had a real, true snow: when the Saints won the Super Bowl, and when the referees Atlanta Falcons beat the Saints last  Thursday. In both cases, "everything" froze over. ;)

48 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

'.... Thank goodness I escaped back home to Orange County! It is currently 2:24 pm, and outside it is a balmy 83 degrees. :cool:

My father-in-law, consummate farmer, always opened any conversation with talk of the weather. Upon becoming a snow-bird he would routinely call us after he heard the PA forecast so he could talk to us about it.

One day (when the temperature dropped here b/c some tropical depression was rolling through there) he called and-knowing full-well the temperature thanks to the Weather Channel-asked, "How cold is it up there?"

I replied, "Don't know. How windy is it down there?"

I forget which Hurricane hit them shortly thereafter.

1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I'm originally from New Orleans. Only twice in my memory has NO,LA had a real, true snow: when the Saints won the Super Bowl, and when the referees Atlanta Falcons beat the Saints last  Thursday. In both cases, "everything" froze over. ;)

AND THIS IS WHY IT SNOWED!!!!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/10/nfl-assigned-former-falcons-player-to-officiate-saints-falcons-game/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

2 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

LOL nah I went to college in the Rocky Mountains and had to endure years of that awful stuff. Thank goodness I escaped back home to Orange County! It is currently 2:24 pm, and outside it is a balmy 83 degrees. :cool:

I have a picture of me sitting on the snow on the hood of the family car in Garden Grove.    Tustin had 3"    Silverado 6"  :confused:

Brother moved to Phoenix - bragged about it being 115 degrees and a "dry heat".  Called to gloat when it was 15 below here - I responded "yeah, but it's a dry cold".

Big City Snow Day Thresholds:

Nashville = 1/2 inch

Washington DC = 1"

New York City = 8-10"

Cleveland/Milwaukee = 12-14"

Boston/Buffalo/Chicago/Minneapolis = "what's a snow day?"

Winter Camping in Great Lakes States - many inches of snow - temps below 20.  Winter camping in Orange County - 75 degrees and cloudy.  Good luck building a quinzhee with sand.

• Upvote 1

SNOW!!!!

Cleveland, 68.1"/yr. (2d among 50 largest cities) edges out Minneapolis, 54"/yr., 'cause Minnie is on the wrong side of the lake.  :D

Now Buffalo is just ridiculous -  94.7"/yr.   :blink:

Boston  43.8"/yr.  So yes, "Snow Day; what's that?"  :p

So what do we do with our Geauga county seat, Chardon, Ohio, at 107"/yr?  :eek: (Or 108.23" according to the city records;  max 161.45" 1959-1960)

"With an average annual snowfall of 107 inches (272 cm), Chardon is notable for being the snowiest city in Ohio. This is mainly due to its location on a 730-foot (223 m) ridge approximately 10 miles (16 km) inland from Lake Erie, creating the perfect conditions for orographic lift and its associated heavy snowfall when winter winds blow across the lake.

In 1996, from November 9 through November 13, a storm dropped over 70 inches (178 cm) of lake-effect snow in the city over a period of six days. Governor George Voinovich declared a state of emergency as a result, and the Ohio National Guard was brought in to assist with the cleanup."

When I lived in North Dakota the temperature was consistently colder than Anchorage.  I remember one winter it went below freezing just before Thanksgiving, then below zero around Christmas.  The temperature did not come up above freezing for 64 days in a row and it didn't get a thaw day for 92 days straight.  THAT is a bad winter.  I learned really quickly what cabin fever was all about.  Then there was the occasional blizzard.  -45 degrees with a windchill pushing -80.  If the car would start, one could drive 2-3 miles before the tires warmed up enough to get rid of the frozen flat spot.  3 years of that was enough for me.

7 hours ago, Stosh said:

While we in the upper Midwest are jealous over our southern friends because we're still looking at dead grass and dirt.

Here in the Twin Cities, Mother Nature has been very gracious about allowing our troop campouts the illusion of Winter.

Our early November campout at our troop camp had an inch of snow when we arrived. The kids got to pitch tents in a decent snow squall and wake up with 3+inches of snow. Just enough snow for snowball fights and good animal tracking. We got tracks of coyotes spooking a flock of turkeys and mice snow tunnels among other things. By Sunday, it was back in the 40s and 50s later in the month.

This past weekend the boys got ~3inches in time for their multi-troop campout. So, at least it was cold and felt Wintery. Not much real sledding but plenty of stomping around on the frozen creek and such.

Overall we have just enough snow to make it pretty without it actually being winter. Hopefully we'll get quinzhee levels of snow before the January campout.