Jump to content
Eagle94-A1

Snow - good or bad

Recommended Posts

Had dinner with a bunch of Saudi guys. We floated a couple of activities to do on a weekend. A winter hike was a popular choice.

I'm toying with the idea of them visiting the troop on a winter campout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

Seeing your first snow is always magical.. well for the first couple of inches. :)

 

Yep. First time I saw snow, I was 25. I enjoyed the 3 inched of overnight snow for about 5 minutes. back inside for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Seeing your first snow is always magical.. well for the first couple of inches. :)

I don't remember when I first saw snow.  Since I was born in January in New Jersey, the first time I saw it I may not have known what it was.  And at whatever age I became conscious of things like that, snow was already just part of the landscape for a few months a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holed up with all the kids on Lake Erie ... catching deeper snow in two days than PA has in any other similar period of weather records. Left my snowshoes in Pittsburgh, so I raided the garage for scrap and fashioned a pair out of plywood. You're never too sure how well they work as they sink through two and a half feet of powder.

Was about halfway on my route through the woods when FLOP! Well, the good news is that I learned that there was another two feet of snow below the shoes to sink in ... or try to swim up from, depending on your perspective. As my head came up from under the drift, I remembered that my high-tech kit also came with walking poles. :eek:

Designing from memory, especially one like mine, has its drawbacks.

So, I plodded carefully for the remainder of my trek, and stayed fireside since.

 

Edited by qwazse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After one of the warmest Christmas Day's on record here in the UK (Was 12C here in Cambridge) it's now snowing with the temperature in my back garden currently showing as 0c and falling.

The scientist in me, and one half of the couple that pays the gas bill, is looking at the washing line. At the far end it has ice on it. The end attached to the house is wet. Part way along is the border between the two. I'm pondering the amount of heat leaching out the house and should we be getting some better insulation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, qwazse said:

Holed up with all the kids on Lake Erie ... catching deeper snow in two days than PA has in any other similar period of weather records. Left my snowshoes in Pittsburgh, so I raided the garage for scrap and fashioned a pair out of plywood. You're never too sure how well they work as they sink through two and a half feet of powder.

Was about halfway on my route through the woods when FLOP! Well, the good news is that I learned that there was another two feet of snow below the shoes to sink in ... or try to swim up from, depending on your perspective. As my head came up from under the drift, I remembered that my high-tech kit also came with walking poles. :eek:

Designing from memory, especially one like mine, has its drawbacks.

So, I plodded carefully for the remainder of my trek, and stayed fireside since.

 

CBSNews reported more than 5ft of snow in 3 days in Erie! Hope the @qwazse family is warm and well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

CBSNews reported more than 5ft of snow in 3 days in Erie! Hope the @qwazse family is warm and well.

Dittos.

We came close to having a White Christmas. It was snowing when I went to sleep on Sunday, and technically as of midnight there may still have been a stray snowflake on a blade of grass somewhere, but sometime in the wee hours it turned to rain, so it was just a Wet Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Dittos.

We came close to having a White Christmas. It was snowing when I went to sleep on Sunday, and technically as of midnight there may still have been a stray snowflake on a blade of grass somewhere, but sometime in the wee hours it turned to rain, so it was just a Wet Christmas.

 

It wasn’t that wet, it dried up by the afternoon. It did snow though in my area for a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

It wasn’t that wet, it dried up by the afternoon. It did snow though in my area for a little bit.

All I know is that when I got up and opened our back door for our dog to go out into our fenced-in yard, she poised paused at the doorway and looked up at me as if to say, "Can't you see it's raining?"

Edited by NJCubScouter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries @RememberSchiff and @NJCubScouter, I'm back home where you can see the bitter cold icy ground along with scrap from someone who skidded into the phone pole outside the house! 

We scheduled our return to Pittsburgh according to this simple quiz:

  • would folks in Erie county be upset if they saw you on the road without your plow/winch/track vehicle/front loader, etc... Yes? Stay home until they stop cussing about the fools out in weather like this. No? Load up the car and make for the lamppost on the southern edge of this Narnia.

Likewise @Cambridgeskip, from my time in England decades ago, I've come up with this simple home improvement quiz:

  • Are you British? ... No? Check your R-values against recommendations for your latitude, and having met those, consider a hot tub. Yes? Crikey! Pull the thatch out of the walls and spend some quid on real insulation and triple pane windows!

Life made simple by strangers on the Internet!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×