• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally found the official BSA rules on hammocks: https://www.ncsbsa.org/resources/general_files/Home/Program Director/680-055_SafetyHammocks_WEB.pdf I'll just leave this here...

I would think not a problem ... for a Turtle. 

Old fat middle aged men struggling to get our of a hammock look remarkably like a turtle trapped on his back....anything for the enjoyment of the lads.

Well at least they didn't say we couldn't use them! (I have been using a Hennessy for years). I am surprised they didn't say something about:

(1) Hanging a hammock to a too small tree where you can damage it.

(2) Using Straps or Tree Savers around trees to lesson damage to the bark of trees.

(3) Hanging a hammock (especially on Friday nights in the dark!) under a dead limb (look up and use your flashlight).

(4) Another danger of small boy 'hammock stacking' is the fart in the face. 

18 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Well at least they didn't say we couldn't use them! (I have been using a Hennessy for years). I am surprised they didn't say something about:

(4) Another danger of small boy 'hammock stacking' is the fart in the face. 

Or, from observations, the upper hammock being tied a little looser than the lower hammock, and/or with heavier contents, the hammocks can get, err, well, a little too close for comfort. 

I've had explorers triple deck hammocks before, I really don't like it, as the top "bunk" is 6ft off the ground, but apparently they know everything and "it'll be fine". It was, as it happened, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

• Upvote 1

Hammock stacking is definitely a thing, especially when some do not bring a rain fly, if you stack, less rain flys....  Great place to nap during campouts, I am not a fan of all night, like to move around too much.

On outings our troop is about 90% sleeping in hammocks, they pitch tents to store gear.  Most like they are level, no rocks or limbs in their backs, and unlike the leaders, they don't have to get up 3 times during the night for the call of nature.  

I tried the hammock because I'm always looking for something to smooth out the hard ground. But I couldn't fall a sleep while shaped like a taco shell. :blink:

Scouts enjoyed it for naps.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
13 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I tried the hammock because I'm always looking for something to smooth out the hard ground. But I couldn't fall a sleep while shaped like a taco shell. :blink:

Scouts enjoyed it for naps.

Barry

You gotta sleep at an angle to centerline to get the back straighter. I prefer it to the ground but I find fighting the thermal loss a hassle sometimes. I have had some excellent sleeps in them.

1 minute ago, Tampa Turtle said:

You gotta sleep at an angle to centerline to get the back straighter. I prefer it to the ground but I find fighting the thermal loss a hassle sometimes. I have had some excellent sleeps in them.

My ENO hammock and the REI Flash air mattress (insulated and not fully inflated) has solved that issue for me. I am amazed at how comfortable I sleep...and I am a "stomach sleeper" but I sleep like a baby.

It's Brian is preparing an article a safety article: 'Hammocks of Happiness or Scouting Shrouds of Sorrow: 68 steps for a BSA approved hammock setup'. :)

Just now, Tampa Turtle said:

It's Brian is preparing an article a safety article: 'Hammocks of Happiness or Scouting Shrouds of Sorrow: 68 steps for a BSA approved hammock setup'. :)

English is my 2nd language after Dyslexia.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:21 AM, qwazse said:

Love the "use only manufacturer's replacement ropes" line. (No pun intended.)

Manufacturers often ship hammocks without ropes!

And hammocks really shouldn't be using ropes to contact the tree. Ropes can connect the hammock and straps (and usually are), but straps should be all that contact the tree.  That, and some of us have homebuilt hammocks.  I guess that means I can use any "rope" as I am the manufacturer of my hammock.

Edited by perdidochas