Jump to content
4CouncilsScouter

BSA Hammock Rules

Recommended Posts

@CalicoPenn

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't believe anyone ever claimed to have created this on their own accord. This came from the Health and Safety team at the National Service Center. It's a BSA document and can be found on multiple, official BSA sites.

Moreover, given the imperative mood used, I'd consider it to be hard and fast policies from these "safety points... taken into consideration":

  • Never attach a hammock to any object that could move, such as vehicle bumpers or trailers.
  • Never “stack” hammocks one above another.
  • Do not hang a hammock above water, including at a waterfront, lake, river, or stream.
  • Never swing or stand in a hammock. Falls from hammocks can cause serious or fatal injuries.
  • Do not use a hammock that has frayed or damaged ropes. Use only the manufacturer’s replacement ropes.
  • Do not put more weight into a hammock than recommended by the manufacturer.

If these were suggestions, we'd see less commanding verbiage used. In any case, the majority of these "safety points" are stuff responsible hammock users have been doing for years.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 4CouncilsScouter said:

@CalicoPenn

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't believe anyone ever claimed to have created this on their own accord. This came from the Health and Safety team at the National Service Center. It's a BSA document and can be found on multiple, official BSA sites.

Moreover, given the imperative mood used, I'd consider it to be hard and fast policies from these "safety points... taken into consideration":

  • Never attach a hammock to any object that could move, such as vehicle bumpers or trailers.
  • Never “stack” hammocks one above another.
  • Do not hang a hammock above water, including at a waterfront, lake, river, or stream.
  • Never swing or stand in a hammock. Falls from hammocks can cause serious or fatal injuries.
  • Do not use a hammock that has frayed or damaged ropes. Use only the manufacturer’s replacement ropes.
  • Do not put more weight into a hammock than recommended by the manufacturer.

If these were suggestions, we'd see less commanding verbiage used. In any case, the majority of these "safety points" are stuff responsible hammock users have been doing for years.

Yes - it came from the BSA Health and Safety Team - they issue a lot of health and safety hints and tips - its one of the ways the BSA tries to educate folks.  But they weren't creating policy or rules when they created this and made it available.  They were providing folks with safety tips.  No where does this say these are policies and rules of the BSA.

I think you are missing my point - and my point is that too often, Scouters take these things that National sometimes creates and believe that they are now policies and rules when they are not meant to be.

I can understand how people could take that list you've included and decide that because of the imperative mood, they much be rules or policies of the BSA.  However, those are included in a list that begins "The following hammock safety points should be taken into consideration" - there is a key word in there - should.  Those listed items aren't sitting alone in a vacuum.  They are part and parcel of all the safety points that should (not must) be taken in to consideration.

This is just a simple list of helpful hints and tips - lets not turn it in to something more than it is.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I occasionally hammock.

One night the wind shifted round to be at right angles to the hammock. I ended up getting sea sick from the swaying!

Weird thing is I don't actually get sea sick at sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:03 PM, Eagledad said:

I tried the hammock because I'm always looking for something to smooth out the hard ground. But I couldn't fall a sleep while shaped like a taco shell. :blink:

Scouts enjoyed it for naps.

Barry

I haven't slept on a hammock in cold weather but I was intrigued about trying a hammock for sleeping. I'm a short really fat dude and didn't want to try one in public. we had an empty lean to at summer camp and I strung one up in there. Didn't want to have the boys watch me try and navigate a hammock for the first time or trying to roll out of the thing.....It was a bit rough for me to get out of. But OMG....I slept solid all night long and never woke up...that doesn't happen to me even sleeping on cot or a bunk...I loved it...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I once hammocked in a Tropical Storm with 35 to 45 mph gusts perpendicular to my hammock. I prayed real hard not to sway all the way into the trees. I actually fared better than the boys in tents. 

 njdrt-rdr I recommend practcing rigging, knotting, and getting in the Hammock over a weekend at home. It is pretty hard to set up on a dark Friday night. Always embarrassing when a scout wanders over to help me out.

Embarrassing?  A scout who helps other people at all times?  What's wrong with you?  I practice a little "Creative Incompetence" at times to provide the opportunity for a scout to come up and say, "Mr. Stosh, you need some help with that?"  On a serious note, that's how I identify my future leaders, those that are willing to roll up their sleeves and help other people at all times.  The magic words from the scout's mouth, "What can I do to help?" is music to my ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I hear you on the pride issue.  But I find it easy to swallow that pride when I'm trying to help out the boys.  At least that's the self-justification I feed myself.  I do find that the older I get the easier it is to take a pass on the pride issue.  I ain't 17 anymore, it's been a while.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I once hammocked in a Tropical Storm with 35 to 45 mph gusts perpendicular to my hammock. I prayed real hard not to sway all the way into the trees. I actually fared better than the boys in tents. 

 njdrt-rdr I recommend practcing rigging, knotting, and getting in the Hammock over a weekend at home. It is pretty hard to set up on a dark Friday night. Always embarrassing when a scout wanders over to help me out.

I agree with you about the practice thing, and not wanting help.  I have asked scouts for help on other things, but I think I'd be a bit embarassed to get help with the hammock.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2017 at 3:24 PM, Cambridgeskip said:

I occasionally hammock.

One night the wind shifted round to be at right angles to the hammock. I ended up getting sea sick from the swaying!

Weird thing is I don't actually get sea sick at sea.

My Hennessey has tie outs on the side of both the hammock and rainfly to minimize this.  Never been through a severe storm to test the limits of this, but my guess is that such a storm would be bad enough to affect anything less than a 4 season tent as well. 

Edited by The Blancmange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×