On 12/9/2017 at 6:53 PM, AK-Eagle said:

We got a slot! Crew 721-?

Phillip Martin
ASM Troop4
Ketchikan, Alaska

That's near the end of July, right. If the monsoons are done by then it can get hot depending on where you are. Be prepared for that. You will know better the closer you get. 

The bears down here are cuter and more cuddly than the ones in your neck of the woods. ;) 

5 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

That's near the end of July, right. If the monsoons are done by then it can get hot depending on where you are. Be prepared for that. You will know better the closer you get. 

The bears down here are cuter and more cuddly than the ones in your neck of the woods. ;) 

That is the date we started in 2016, got thunderstorms on most afternoons. Only saw one cinnamon bear on the trek and more mini bears than we cared to count.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Very cool!
I have to admit to getting a bit nostalgic/sullen when I see people post about their upcoming treks. I think I would be quite happy to do a trek every year. So happy for everyone going, but sad that I am not.
We were 716M in 2017. We experienced meaningful rain one afternoon/evening on the trail... trail day 10... so the 27th-ish. When we got back to base camp we heard that it had been rather intense rains EVERY afternoon during our trek. We heard it most days, saw the clouds and rain from afar many days, but just happened to be somewhere other than right under it nearly every time. It was pretty weird, actually.

My prior trip was many moons ago in 1990 and we were 716. Got soaked EVERY afternoon on that trip.

57 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

What size, weight(empty) pack did you have and what was it's carry weight loaded?

I carried a Z-Packs Arc Blast 60L pack that weighed 19.6 oz... about 1 Lb 4 oz... empty.

We had a scout that spoke up as we were checking in to catch the bus to start our trek that he didn't have long pants for the conservation project. Yes, we had ID this in our shakedown hikes, our "bring your gear to the scout hut" shakedown, and the Philmont Ranger's shakedown... but the dude didn't want to take long pants, so he ignored it all. UNTIL his dad asked him on the walk from tent city to the bus pickup point which pair he had chosen (since dad had bought him 2 or 3 rather pricey new pair of pants to choose from). Of course, we were to be on the bus in 15 minutes, but his dad took off, dragging him to TToT to buy ANOTHER pair of pants (which the son wore for conservation, then Dad returned to TToT after the trek). Because our little delinquent was supposed to fill water bottles during that time I ended up covering that... and missed the chance to weigh my fully loaded pack.
At least I'm  not bitter about it. lol
Anyhow, based on my spreadsheet of actual gear weights that I put together before leaving for the trek I was at 18.5 Lb before food and water. 25 Lb with 3.7 liters of water and I estimated around 36 Lb when we left base camp with 4 full days of Philfood (the most food we would carry on the trek). That includes all of our crew water filtration and crew water storage gear:

Platypus 4L dirty water bag
Platypus 4L clean water bag
Sawyer cleaning plunger
Platypus GravityWorks filter & hoses
MSR Dromlite 6L bag
MSR Dromedary 10L bag

If we we knew we had easy water along the trail on any given day I would only carry 2 - 2.7 L of water. Especially on the days before resupply I was down around 28 Lb.
I would have liked to have been lighter, but that weight worked OK for me.
More info on our complete gear lists is available here: http://gear-report.com/best-budget-backpacking-gear-philmont-boy-scouts

http://gear-report.com/best-budget-backpacking-gear-philmont-boy-scouts

Edited by Gear-Report
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...