Norton Software can keep you off Scouter.com

Packsaddle, since you have automatic updates I didn't think you'd find anything. I also have auto update, so we should have the same config. However, I'm running "Norton Internet Security 2004", what version are you using?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purcelce, I completed my latest stint as an "exec" last Friday, and I'm once again a commoner. Hmmmm, I didn't have any trouble with this site until I finished that job -- coincidence? Nope, it's definitely Norton... or this site ... or an upgrade ... or something.

All joking aside, how are the rest of you Norton users fairing? Any progress?

I've sent a PM to Scouter-Terry. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

• Administrators

Folks I just noticed this thread. Yes, on Friday we deployed a new firewall in front of SCOUTER, and I suspect it's causing the problems you have reported. We'll check into it right away.

TERRY HOWERTON

I also run Norton Internet Security and have the same problem. When I disable the security, I can log onto this site. When I turn it back on, no access. Maybe Scouter.com's firewall is causing Norton to block when security is set to on. At work, I use Sysmatec Antivirus Corporate edition and have no problem getting on.

Dancin

PASHAW!!! We run a Novell network and Norton System Works on all of our machines. I suggest it is not Norton, but AOL. (Choke Choke) which is garbage of the highest caliber.

Though I am not a fan of DELL either, our one DELL machine has no problems with Scouter.com. Norton is not possibly the problem.

ASM1

Woo-Hoo, I'm in too Balding Eagle!

Scouter-Terry whatever you did worked, I can now access this site from home. Thanks!!

ASM1: "WAHSAP" (PASHAW right back atcha). You're possibly half correct, the problem appears to be due to a new firewall installed by this site (see Scouter-Terry's April 29th post). However it seems only to have caused a problem with Norton Personal Firewall and judging from the a few of the posts it was specific to the version in Norton Internet Security 2004.

I too am running Norton and have had no problems until about a week ago. I could not get into this forum at all again until yesterday. It went away for me suddenly and suddenly it is back. Norton did several updates during that interval. It does make one suspicious.

There are settings on your Norton internet software that you can modify that will affect how you access different web sites. I ran into a similar problem last summer when I needed to download some data from a commercial site that sells data. I had to tweak Norton to enable it to work.

• 2 weeks later...