Scout Related Secret Santa Gifts

Troop does a yearly secret Santa (only around 12 scouts), and the troop is in a somewhat poor town. (Only myself and another scout come from a bordering town that doesn’t have that issue, but we stayed in the troop because we liked the troop.)

We have a limit of around $10, so I’m asking for a idea for a gift that is Scout related gift. 

Most scouts have no idea what, and I have no idea what.

Whittle a necker slide. 

One year I gave color coordinated Turk's Head necker slides to the boys and leaders.

On the first canoe trip every spring I always would take a new scout in the front of my canoe, mostly for weight to keep the bow down out of the wind.  I would whittle a paddle for the boy and use a Sharpie to write the name of the river and the date on it for him.  I saw a lot of them on the Eagle "trophy" table at the Eagle COH's.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

Troop does a yearly secret Santa (only around 12 scouts), and the troop is in a somewhat poor town. (Only myself and another scout come from a bordering town that doesn’t have that issue, but we stayed in the troop because we liked the troop.)

We have a limit of around $10, so I’m asking for a idea for a gift that is Scout related gift. 

We do White Elephant. Basically the same thing:

• Bring a wrapped gift of $10 or so.
  • Can be food, toys, gags, etc., but must be Scout appropriate.
  • Gifts go in to a pile and chairs in a circle around the pile.
  • Guys each take a number (we have 75 Scouts).
  • Scouts have 10 seconds to 1) select a gift, 2) "steal" a gift. Stolen gifts can only be stolen 3 times, then they stay with their fourth owner).
  • Gifts have been Scout gear, candy, food items, bag of TP (obviously a gag gift), gift cards, etc.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The Scout Store has a bunch of random stuff for under $10. I got a multi-function little doohicky there that had binoculars, a compass, mirror, magnifying glass, et cetera for only $8 there. It was cheap and poor quality but WOW the boys fought for that little thing!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Depends on the person. If they have a favorite trail, consider getting a map or hiking guide for it.

A couple of bars of freeze-dried ice cream will send some boys through the roof.

I've also seen fight break out over bulk packs of Ramen noodles!

Edited by qwazse
  • Thanks 1

I was thinkink about this thread yesterday, and how hard it is to know these sorts of things....gear being a very individual thing

but I was thinking that one of those small swiss army knives (a name brand quality one)or maybe a small multi-tool I would think would likely be a hit regardless.  Even if i have one or more I'd still appreciate another...and even if I was a knife collector and preferred some completely different kind of knife, it's still handy to throw into a day pack or sopmeplace as another backup.

• Thanks 1

Check out your local chain sporting goods store or general retail store that sells camping/outdoor/hunting gear. I've picked up first aid kits in a lexan box listed originally for $15 for $5, water bottles filled with survival kits for about $8 (originally $20), and pellet fuel stoves and a refill for about $8 (originally $8 each). The items were in the sporting goods sections of the general retailer (think Target like places) or the camping section of the sporting goods stores. The stuff is too small to pack up and ship back to the corporate warehouse, but not in demand over the winters, so the retailers mark it down big time.

Another great place to shop for Secret Santa gifts is your local dollar stores. Some have great mittens or gloves for a buck or two. I've picked up gloves,  mitts, stocking hats, and scarves. What person doesn't need a spare set of warm items in the winter (I guess if you live in the south this one won't work so well). My son created a survival kit in a bottle at the local dollar store one year. 

If the guys in the troop are of less means something as simple as a few pairs of extra socks might be well received. In our troop we used to draw names for the SS gifts. One guy always ran out of socks, or never packed more than what he wore to campouts. His SS got him socks one year for his gift, turned out he only had 7 pairs at home. If he brought extras camping he had to wear dirty ones to school the following week. He cherished his 3 pairs of dollar store socks and mitts he got that year. Wore the socks to campouts till they were full of holes.

One item I got one year was a small flashlight and a pack of batteries to feed it for a year. I love that thing, fits perfectly into my cargo pants pocket. I put it in my pocket in the morning when I get up at camp and then I don't have to worry about having a light if I don't come back to my tent all day.

Your imagination is your only limitation. Gook Luck and happy shopping.

Rabbi (Captain) Cass was involved with Boy Scouts.  One day,  scouts presented him with a large sand timer.

“But how can I use it?” he asked with seeming innocence.

“To time your sermons,” came the cheeky reply.  :)

Interesting story about Hanukah during WW2 in Europe at link above

Edited by RememberSchiff
On 12/7/2017 at 3:18 PM, ItsBrian said:

Pocket knives are always popular with Scouts. Or something like a headlamp, or maybe a knit cap.  

Knit cap is good...stupid ones with Racoon ears or something seem popular.

I hate getting another knife...I got at least 20....but a pocket clip to hang a knife is good if you can find it.

Good quality biners are good.

At summer camp someone gave me a little faux leather pocket memo pad holder and burned a scout seal on it. I use that at campouts. (that is if someone is a note taker)

You can get a good Nalgene style bottle for around that money or get a cheap knock off and fill with candy/

Once someone got some Starbucks Via instant coffee packets for an adult. 

A necker if it has a survival thing or constellations or just something funny. I would have loved one signed by all the scouts of a patrol. That is nice and inexpensive. 

Or if you wear neckers a home made slide. Especially if it ties in with something personal (like a Turtle for me).