WisconsinMomma

How about those who prefer leaders keep their hands off the kids?

1 minute ago, David CO said:

...and this whole discussion on wood badge belongs in the wood badge forum.

True, but it fits the "Kool-Aid" theme as it is constantly brought up as THE explanation for all that is disliked.  One size fits all.

2 minutes ago, David CO said:

...and this whole discussion on wood badge belongs in the wood badge forum.

This is the thread that just keeps on giving!

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

This is the thread that just keeps on giving!

Did I miss my cue to really send things off the rails by bringing up the benefits of adults having to earn rank, and pointing out the link between striking Bird Study from the required list and the rise of climate change denial?

Edited by qwazse

2 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Did I miss my cue to really send things off the rails by bringing up the benefits of adults having to earn rank, and pointing out the link between striking Bird Study from the required list and the rise of climate change denial?

You are the only person I have ever met (or "met") in my entire life who thinks adults earning rank would be a good idea today.

But I seem to recall that at one point, in an earlier and happier (?) time, this thread was about physical contact between Scouters and Scouts.  If there is nothing more to say on that subject, we can start letting this thread do the inevitable scroll down the list until it disappears into the annals of history.  There has always been sort of an ambivalence in this forum about off-topic discussions, but lately it seems that many threads turn into a discussion of EVERY conceivable Scouting-related subject, all in the same thread.  And many of these subjects don't need to be in Issue and Politics.

31 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

But I seem to recall that at one point, in an earlier and happier (?) time, this thread was about physical contact between Scouters and Scouts.  If there is nothing more to say on that subject

I was going to compare (many pages ago) the recent trend to avoid physical contact to BSA's long past decision to ban nude swimming (my point being that times and sensibilities change), but then I thought better of it. I would rather keep the thread out of YP.

I agree that it may be time to let this thread go.

On 12/10/2017 at 4:32 AM, Cambridgeskip said:

Interestingly all the instances of dealing with helicopter parents I've had this year has been parents of boys.

The dad who wanted to know why his son wasn't a PL yet. (He didn't get chosen by the PLC) The mum who wanted to know why her son didn't have his chief scouts gold and was left to do (why isn't your son having this conversation with me?) and various others.

had no such issues with parents of my girls.

In fact as a counter example I spent a few mins on Thursday chatting to one of my older girls about the last thing she needs to do for her CSG. She approached me. No need for mum or dad to be involve.

Just an observation 

It's almost like boys and girls are different.

• Haha 1