Philmont 2019 Rollcall

6 hours ago, krikkitbot said:

We gave up trying to get a spot a couple of years ago. I have heard about troops that do an annual rotation between all the HA bases and wonder how they manage to get spots year in and year out. 

We are going to Seabase this year and Philmont the next.  All we did was enter the lottery with a full set of availability.

15 hours ago, krikkitbot said:

We gave up trying to get a spot a couple of years ago. I have heard about troops that do an annual rotation between all the HA bases and wonder how they manage to get spots year in and year out. 

Our scoutmaster explained it like this:

- Philmont you put our name in for either a 7 or 12 day trek and for the number of crews. Consideration is given to past attendance, payment if monies due and good standing. 

- Seabase is different. You pick multiple treks on multiple dates. So if you want tall ships in June and just pick that you have only a few chances. But if you pick tall ships for any time that summer you have more chances. 

Northern Tier and Summit don’t seem to be in such high demand. We always got in when wanted. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Back Pack said:

Our scoutmaster explained it like this:

- Philmont you put our name in for either a 7 or 12 day trek and for the number of crews. Consideration is given to past attendance, payment if monies due and good standing. 

- Seabase is different. You pick multiple treks on multiple dates. So if you want tall ships in June and just pick that you have only a few chances. But if you pick tall ships for any time that summer you have more chances. 

Northern Tier and Summit don’t seem to be in such high demand. We always got in when wanted. 

This is exactly right. Philmont is a one-shot submission. Seabase is a "rolling" lottery. Where most units fail is that they pick one trek on specific dates (e.g. third week in June). If they don't get that slot they're out of luck.

Our troop is on the waitlist. I have 16 scouts and 3 adults committed to going. We signed up for the 7 day treks since the 12 treks are just too expensive. But will can only go in June or July since all the school activities start in August. Philmont hardly has any 7 day treks in June and July.  If you look at the 2018 openings, there are over 100 slots available for 12 day treks  in June and July.  100 slots times 12 members times $900 equals big dollars. You would think they would open up more 7 day slots they seem to be filled all the time. Not sure what we are going to do. Sad to hear there are councils begging to fill spots and my troop wants to go in the worst way

• Upvote 1