New Necker Colors

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentle Scouters:  Beside the BSA regulations and standards of advancement and rank,  You seem to forget that "All Scouting Is Local" I have known of Cub Packs who decided to end the madness. The

I understand BSA National is not very good at communicating.  But they are pretty good at acting in their own best interests, and you would think that something that could lead to a substantial increa

They look nice.  This is small stuff. 

Posted Images

Tigers didn't wear a full blue uniform until early 2000s. They went from a T-shirt or sweatshirt only with the iron on decals from August 1982 to sometime after 1997, to blue with orange topped socks, blue pants/shorts, blue belt with Tiger Cub buckle, belt fob fort advancement, and t-shirt or sweat shirt, I think August 1998 or 1999 as I was selling that uniform in May 1999 through  May 2001, to the blue with orange topped socks, blue pants/shorts, blue belt with Tiger Cub buckle, Tiger Cub Progess towards Rank shirt fob, blue shirt, orange necker, and orange hat. That is what all three sons wore as Tigers.

24 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Tigers didn't wear a full blue uniform until early 2000s. They went from a T-shirt or sweatshirt only with the iron on decals from August 1982 to sometime after 1997, to blue with orange topped socks, blue pants/shorts, blue belt with Tiger Cub buckle, belt fob fort advancement, and t-shirt or sweat shirt, I think August 1998 or 1999 as I was selling that uniform in May 1999 through  May 2001, to the blue with orange topped socks, blue pants/shorts, blue belt with Tiger Cub buckle, Tiger Cub Progess towards Rank shirt fob, blue shirt, orange necker, and orange hat. That is what all three sons wore as Tigers.

Well, my son was a Tiger in the 98-99 school year, and he wore the orange t-shirt with the paw prints for achievements.  Also there was no Tiger handbook, just a packet of materials, which changed either the following year or sometime after that.

When I read your descriptions above, I am a little confused.  When are you saying the Tigers started wearing the blue uniform shirt?  My recollection is that at least the couple of dens after my son's were still wearing the orange t-shirts, but I could be wrong about that.

I don't want to throw this thread off-topic, but isn't Lions still a pilot program?  It seems kind of odd to me that they are throwing the uniform "regime" topsy-turvy over a pilot program.  Even just from a financial perspective, if they are going to have the Lions wear a full uniform with neckerchief, wouldn't it make sense to have the program be nationwide, instead of just being in some councils? And given the length of the pilot, you would think they would know by now whether it works or not.

Edited by NJCubScouter
38 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

LOL you are so funny sometimes, applying that logic to decision making. :)

Well, but I think they DO employ a certain degree of logic where money is concerned.  Why would they want to introduce new clothing sizes, new neckerchiefs, probably a new hat, etc. and then be able to sell it to only a minority of the possible buyers?  (That does assume they are making a profit on all the items, which I think they are.)

Edited by NJCubScouter
1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

Well, my son was a Tiger in the 98-99 school year, and he wore the orange t-shirt with the paw prints for achievements.  Also there was no Tiger handbook, just a packet of materials, which changed either the following year or sometime after that.

When I read your descriptions above, I am a little confused.  When are you saying the Tigers started wearing the blue uniform shirt?  My recollection is that at least the couple of dens after my son's were still wearing the orange t-shirts, but I could be wrong about that.

When I worked for national supply 1995-1997, they still had the t-shirt and sweatshirt and the awful cut out tiger paw iron-ons that came in a packet.  They were in the process of switching to the whole paw instead of cut out paws. When I went back to work for national supply 2000-2002, The official Tiger Cub uniform was 1/2 blue and 1/2 orange.  Orange t-shirts were still worn, and most only wore those anyway, but Tigers were suppose to wear the blue with orange top socks, Cub Scout shorts, and a Cub Scout belt with the Tiger buckle. They also switched from iron on paws, to a belt fob for beads and a place for the Tiger Cub Badge to be put on it. Yes, the original TC diamond was an embroidered sticker. As Cub, they could wear the belt fob with the Tiger Cub Badge on it still.

I admit I was a bad employee. I suggested getting the pants and blue with yellow top socks and get the Cub Scout belt so they could wear it longer and save money.

Sometime between 2002 when I left the profession all together, and 2009 when oldest was a Cub, Tigers were fully integrated into the packs. They wore the full blue uniform.

1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

I don't want to throw this thread off-topic, but isn't Lions still a pilot program?  It seems kind of odd to me that they are throwing the uniform "regime" topsy-turvy over a pilot program.  Even just from a financial perspective, if they are going to have the Lions wear a full uniform with neckerchief, wouldn't it make sense to have the program be nationwide, instead of just being in some councils? And given the length of the pilot, you would think they would know by now whether it works or not.

Have you had a chance to look at the description of the programs on the July 2017 membership applications?  Not only is the word "boy"

replaced with "Youth" and "Children" for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts respectively, it also mentions Lions as the earliest Cub Scout program. Check it out here: https://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/524-406.pdf

So Lions will be official next year. Just like girls in Scouting will be allowed next year.

key parts:

Joining Requirements

Cub Scout Pack

Pack membership is open to youth in kindergarten through fifth grade.

*Lion—Year before first grade

Boy Scout Troop

Children can be Scouts if they have completed the fifth grade and are at least 10 years old, OR have earned the Arrow of Light Award and are at least 10 years old, OR are age 11 but have not reached age 18.

When I worked for national supply 1995-1997, they still had the t-shirt and sweatshirt and the awful cut out tiger paw iron-ons that came in a packet.  They were in the process of switching to the whole paw instead of cut out paws. When I went back to work for national supply 2000-2002, The official Tiger Cub uniform was 1/2 blue and 1/2 orange.  Orange t-shirts were still worn, and most only wore those anyway, but Tigers were suppose to wear the blue with orange top socks, Cub Scout shorts, and a Cub Scout belt with the Tiger buckle. They also switched from iron on paws, to a belt fob for beads and a place for the Tiger Cub Badge to be put on it. Yes, the original TC diamond was an embroidered sticker. As Cub, they could wear the belt fob with the Tiger Cub Badge on it still.

I admit I was a bad employee. I suggested getting the pants and blue with yellow top socks and get the Cub Scout belt so they could wear it longer and save money.

Sometime between 2002 when I left the profession all together, and 2009 when oldest was a Cub, Tigers were fully integrated into the packs. They wore the full blue uniform.

Ok, that makes sense.  My son crossed over in 2003 and I did not recall any of the Tigers wearing the blue shirt or a neckerchief while he was in the pack.  You say that started sometime between 2002 and 2009, I am going to guess that it was 2003 (after May) at the earliest.  Since my son and I attended some crossovers after that, and I do remember seeing Tigers wearing the blue shirt, I am going to guess somewhere in the 2005-2007 range.

Have you had a chance to look at the description of the programs on the July 2017 membership applications?  Not only is the word "boy"

replaced with "Youth" and "Children" for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts respectively, it also mentions Lions as the earliest Cub Scout program. Check it out here: https://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/524-406.pdf

So Lions will be official next year. Just like girls in Scouting will be allowed next year.

I have not seen it.  Thanks for the update.  I am a little surprised because I would have thought there would have been a more noticeable announcement that Lions was becoming an official nationwide program and that it would have found its way into this forum.

The Lions program will become an official part of Cub Scouting next year; the pilot was a success, so it is being fully implemented.

It seems the Tiger uniforms are being refitted to work in more closely with the other Cub Scout ranks as well; they have been wearing the blue uniforms for a while, but beyond that, I noticed yesterday at the Scout Store that they have recently redesigned all Tiger patches and materials; instead of Tiger Cubs, they are simply Tigers, and their emblem is now a much more realistic Tiger visage than the cartoon cub they have been using since their inception. All the Tiger rank patches, leader position emblems, neckerchiefs, et cetera, have been redesigned. It's actually really nice looking I might add; I hope they think about updating the Lion emblem too so it isn't the silly looking character they have used throughout the pilot program's run. 

That gets me wondering about the pic at the beginning of this thread ... it may be that what we are seeing is not a new red color scheme for the Wolf dens, but simply a photo of a Tiger den that comes off as being dressed in red due to the photo quality, but is actually dressed in orange - the color used by Tigers. The photo is admittedly cropped strategically enough that we can't see any evidence of the claims made about it - no girls, no clear Wolf emblems, nothing yet to support that this was "leaked" from a photoshoot for new Cub materials. Since we have had nothing to authenticate the validity of the photo's credit so far, I think this may actually be what we are seeing. 

• Upvote 1

Gentle Scouters:  Beside the BSA regulations and standards of advancement and rank,  You seem to forget that "All Scouting Is Local"

I have known of Cub Packs who decided to end the madness. The Pack ALL wears ONE type of necker. The yellow traditional one.  The various hats are another matter....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 12/7/2017 at 3:11 PM, Tampa Turtle said:

Stop...stop you're killing me! If only Scouts has some merit badge on communicating or something!

1d d. List as many ways as you can think of to communicate with others (face-to-face, by telephone, letter, e-mail, text messages, and so on). For each type of communication discuss with your counselor an instance when that method might not be appropriate or effective.

I understand BSA National is not very good at communicating.  But they are pretty good at acting in their own best interests, and you would think that something that could lead to a substantial increase in membership would be widely publicized in order to make people aware that the program is available.  Or at least I would think.  :)

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1