New Necker Colors

Belt looks different. I don't know how girls gonna like wearing suck baggy switchback pants. As I have said the move from the Iconic Yellow for Wolfs is a style blunder but National, long ago, stopped caring about tradition except as a "brand" (CE uses that term a lot -- I guess my Scouts are 'products' too. Oh well, time to TRY to move on, I can only keep so much moral outrage on so many things going so long. :) 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentle Scouters:  Beside the BSA regulations and standards of advancement and rank,  You seem to forget that "All Scouting Is Local" I have known of Cub Packs who decided to end the madness. The

I understand BSA National is not very good at communicating.  But they are pretty good at acting in their own best interests, and you would think that something that could lead to a substantial increa

They look nice.  This is small stuff. 

Posted Images

So the iconic yellow neckerchief is only for kindergartners? Interesting to see if the feedback will be, "What, no yellow like when I was a kid?" I'd be cynical once finding out to enjoy that traditional combination of blue and gold would require signing up at 5 years old. Ugh.

If it has the traditional Cub Scout emblem on it, I'd be tempted to make yellow the standard Pack neckerchief until Webelos. That way parents are only on the hook for a new hat as a distinguishing element for each program year.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, numbersnerd said:

So the iconic yellow neckerchief is only for kindergartners? Interesting to see if the feedback will be, "What, no yellow like when I was a kid?" I'd be cynical once finding out to enjoy that traditional combination of blue and gold would require signing up at 5 years old. Ugh.

If it has the traditional Cub Scout emblem on it, I'd be tempted to make yellow the standard Pack neckerchief until Webelos. That way parents are only on the hook for a new hat as a distinguishing element for each program year.

When I was in Cubs, many moons ago, the Den # patch was enough to distinguish the different groupings.  My son wore the yellow necker until he went into Webelos, no one ever said a thing.  The award on the pocket told everyone what level he was at.  I'm thinking the neckers are nothing more than purchased awards for the years of Cubbing.  I think they have service stars for that, too.

My wife loved red when she was a younger lass. Caused quite a scene in a church service one time LOL.

I guess the pictures are real, our Council pushed them out as an FYI. Also one with an all girl Cub Scout Den --apparently it must be a staged photo for some future BSA material. Folks observed they were saluting the flag incorrectly so that will need to be fixed prior to publication. I'd link to it if I could figure it out.

Please note: it included the following 

National photo shoot for the new Cub Scout handbooks ! For updated information send questions to Family.Program@scouting.org!

1 hour ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Please note: it included the following 

National photo shoot for the new Cub Scout handbooks ! For updated information send questions to Family.Program@scouting.org!

It bothers me when real scouts are not used in photos, like the fake Eagle Scout with TWO Camping merit badges on his sash who appeared on the back of merit badge pamphlets.  :mad:

Those girls can't be Cub Scouts yet, right?

Mighty crisp looking scout pants in the photo; like they just came from the scout store. Well if you want girls to feel welcome maybe they can use some pictures from the Troops that were free range beta testers of the concept this whole time. Just as valid as models. But they might have used the same uniforms.

As for two Camping merit badges, my boys ages out with 3 or 4 months of nights out of camping maybe they deserved an extra.

Using a real scout may result in a fake spoof merit badge in a shot. 

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

It bothers me when real scouts are not used in photos, like the fake Eagle Scout with TWO Camping merit badges on his sash who appeared on the back of merit badge pamphlets.  :mad:

You never know, my son actually earned one non-required MB twice at summer camp, 2 or 3 years apart.  I think it was Geology.  He forgot he had earned it the first time.  Not one of his prouder moments.  But he didn't get the actual MB patch the second time, so it didn't go on his sash.  (And of course it doesn't "count.")

• Haha 1
On 12/12/2017 at 7:04 PM, Eagle94-A1 said:

It's Official! Wolves will wear red neckers. Photo was posted on Facebook on a scouting page.

Aren't those girls Tigers, though?  Or at least dressed as Tigers?  The one in the middle is wearing a Tiger hat, not a Wolf hat, unless they have changed the colors while I wasn't looking.  And the tiny bit of color in the middle of the neckerchief slides seems to be orange, not yellow.  So are those red-ish neckerchiefs for Tigers now?  Or maybe the people setting up the shot didn't know what they were doing and gave the girls the wrong neckerchief.  If they really wanted to do it right they would have had all three wearing hats, and definitely not that bow that one of them is wearing.  Unless that bow is going to be in the next catalog...

Edited by NJCubScouter

I think the pictures show that the uniforms look even goofier on little girls. I think when we go unisex new uniforms are going to have to roll out. We will probably end up looking more like our European cousins. But I think that will get pushed off until after World Jambo.