Scouts and Fixed Blades; New viewpoint

5 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

One regarding BSA and Knives, while they do have policies, those policies stress"legally owned" so knife laws do need to be considered. As for school policies, how many Scouts have gotten in trouble for carrying a spork to school? Anyone remember the Eagle Scout with camping gear in the trunk of his car, including a knife and axe, that was suspended?  Graduating senior, West Point bound, and a volunteer firefighter if memory serves, yet got suspended b/c of wood TOOLS ( emphasis) in the runk of his car.

Does anyone recall if National, Council, or his SM contacted the school system or otherwise spoke on that Eagle Scout's behalf?

IMHO, it would be helpful if the back of the Totin' Chip had a what-to-do list and phone contacts for when a scout's knife wanders into a restricted location.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The schools in my area do NOT have that "safe harbor" rule.  However, I'm aware of one case where a student told a teacher that he accidentally had a pocket knife in his backpack.  And the teacher wis

One thing to be careful of is bringing ANY knife to summer camp if outside your state.  We went to summer camp the first year I was SM at a camp several states away, so we needed a bus to get the

The good old days!

Well in this case, the scout's scoutmaster wrote a letter for the discipline hearing.

Milton, Mass  Dec 13, 2017

A 13yr old Boy Scout who mistakenly forgot his folding knife (2-inch blade) in his backpack and then showed it to friends while on his way home from school was suspended for eight days following a disciplinary hearing Tuesday with the school’s principal and vice principal.

“I confirmed with the school yesterday they intend to put this on his permanent record and use verbiage that uses the word ‘weapon,’ ” said. his mother “He is a male of color. ... My son doesn’t miss days from school. We can count the number of days since he’s missed since kindergarten on two hands.”

The boy’s troop leader, Jim Solomon, wrote a letter on behalf of the teen presented at the disciplinary hearing. He said the suspended teen is a dedicated Scout who wants to one day become an Eagle Scout.

Folding knives are a necessary utility, and the boy had the knife in his backpack because he intended to go camping in Manchester, N.H.,  (Camp Carpenter - RS ) but then didn’t because he was sick, Solomon said.

He added that Boy Scouts are well trained to use the knives safely. Solomon said the school is being too strict.

He should have “gotten a warning,” Solomon added. “They should have said, ‘Don’t do it again’ because he didn’t do anything wrong. ... He was excited about being a Scout and wanted to show others his knife.”

More details and photo of knife at source link:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/12/school_punishes_boy_scout_over_2_inch_blade

Having this much control over other people's lives is what the US Constitution was adopted to avoid.  King George III would be proud of how the Colonials fared over the years.  I guess Common Sense is not as common as it used to be.

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Not that I'd encourage such a thing now. But I could see my troop showing up at the disciplinary hearing with their knives in their pockets!

Nope!  all In full uniform, shirt, pants, necker and belt with the camp knife clipped to it with the belt clip.  Maybe a scout or two with the BSA belt ax and sheath knife, too.   And don't forget all the scouts with a match case clipped there too, we wouldn't want to leave out any arsonists' issues.

Edited by RememberSchiff
Shirt is spelled with a r
  • Haha 1