In my troop, we had a group of Junior Leaders who would sing any song they could think of. They sang loud, fast and long. The songs ranged from traditional camp songs, to oldies (Yellow Submarine and American Pie) to jingles, to songs from "The Simpsons." Since these were the older boys, the rest of the troop looked up to them and many would join in the songs. It really made times fun. But other crews of Junior Leaders moved in and the singing stopped. I realized how much something like singing really depends on the boys setting the example for the younger boys.

What about your troops? Singing is such a great way to unite a group, pass the time, and break down barriers. However, it is "uncool" for many boys to sing and confidence in one's voice is always an issue.

Is singing a big part of your scouting experience? Do you have a "singing troop?"

Despite the fact that we have several boys that sing in school and church groups, I have to tag our troop as "non-singing".

It's unfortunate that more units don't go the song route. I've always been impressed with summer camp staffs that sing well. I also remember some campfires that were enhanced by a good song or two. Give me a good song over a poor (or often repeated) skit any day.

I'd also challenge our troop and others to select songs that appeal to the modern generation. Can't tell you the beating the "Hokey Pokey" took from the kids when performed at a recent camporee.

Our older boys are definitely non-singers. Our younger boys, still reeling from Webelos years, sing, but only to the gross songs that are banned at any District or Council campfire event (ie. God Bless My Underwear, He Jumped 10,000 ft, etc.). I wish that they would get into the fun of singing at campfire! All that they want to do is to play capture the flag in the dark and that's it!

The funniest thing happened at one of our campout not too long ago was that they boys decided to turn in early (8:00pm) since it was cold (28 degrees). We were backpacking so campfire was out of the question. The adults decided to stand our a lantern and started to talk, but we broke out into the old show tunes (Gilligan's Island, Beverly Hillbillies, Mickey Mouse Club, Howdy Doody Show, etc.). One by one, the boys stuck their heads out and came out to sing with us around a virtual campfire! That was neat to see!(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Each day at the daily closing of our Cub Scout Spring Camp, the CD would gather up the boys and prepare them to sing the daily song. The boys would immediately begin a chant of NO NO NO, arms flailing and feet stomping. She would wait until the chorus stopped and give them a 3 count to get started. They would then sing their little hearts outs with as much animation as anyone could ever want.

I guess singing is one of those things the kids love to hate.

Out Troop does not sing on it's own but will during summer camp or a Camporee Campfire when led by someone else.

However, on our last campout we did break into a collective whistle of the theme from "The Bridge On the River Kwai" while hiking in.

I was pleasantly suprised. There may be hope for a song or two yet.

SA

Our guys do sing. Years ago it was hazing even our youngest boys have heard tales of having to sing for your.... misplaced items.

When staying aboard a local historic Talll ship we routinrely invite some friendly musicians (guitar, mandolin, bodhran, tin whistle & bones) to teach sea chanties and other folk music below decks after dinner. No one gets through the whole evening w/out at least joining in for the SitCom theme song set. (See OneHour's note)

Slightly longer story

Our troop is chartered by a church w/ priests from a religious order. Each year I teach all our middle school students a song written by the first American to join the order (1920+/-). The oldest kids in the school sing it during the Mass at the feast day celebration and every year there are a few who already know it before I teach it. (No real surprise!) 2 years ago we were blessed w/ a chaplin who is an Eagle Scout; Fr. Jim camps w/ us whenever he can and celebrates the Eucharist (Mass) at many District events. That first winter with us he chose to attend his first Klondike Derby (as a leader) instead of joining his confreres for the official feast day celebration. On Friday night while Fr. attended his first leader's Crackerbarrel I pulled out song sheets & a challenged the older boys to teach the troop the song. I sat back until they asked me to nail down t melody. I begged off & they did a great job. Father was really impressed (remember this was his first year in the parish and he had not attended the school Mass that morning.) He publicly thanked them at our Sciout Sunday COH, no, he didn't make them sing that day.

This summer my son, another scout & I took instruments to summer camp & we've been singing ever since. Light of Scouting, God Bless America, Scout Vespers (O Tannenebaum - O Christmas Tree), & yeah a couple of those summer songs that bring back the smell of beach fries, salt water & suntan lotion.

Dude!