A Good Gift To Get An Adult Leader

Hey, hopefully he doesn't see this, but I've gotten a boy scout leader as a "secret Santa recipient" on a website.

The problem is that I don't have much of an interest in camping - or at least not enough to know what to get. My budget is around $100 - does anyone have any good gift ideas? Maybe something I can get someone who's into the wilderness that they can never have enough of? I was thinking maybe a $100 knife, but I don't know. I came to you guys because you seem like a nice bunch of people who may know about what a boy scout leader may want. Thanks in advance!

Every scouter is different. One year Son #2 and I could not resist getting our SM a paper-doll book of the man's favorite president and 1st lady. The guy cherishes it in his shelf of collectibles. But, he would definitely be the type to appreciate a quality knife.

I, on the other hand go through ropes and tarp like nobody's business. This year I lost a headlamp and have yet to find a suitable a wide-brimmed leather hat to replace the one that wore out last year. Most of my colleagues being female, however, I usually put wool socks, ski gloves, and balakava's on my wishlist. But, I'm also overjoyed if an alternative gift (e.g., to some charity helping the impoverished) is given in my name.

One other suggestion: if the fellow is into backcountry hiking, a collection of jerky or a cache to a dehydrated foods might suit him.

Do you know someone in this leader's troop? They might be able to point you in the right direction.

oh, and welcome to the forums! Let us know what you land on, and feel free to come back if you have a question about scouting in general. We have opinions.

Edited by qwazse

You could ask, or thy to find someone close to him/her to ask.   If you are CIA material, you could engage the Scouter in a probing conversation about what to get ANOTHER Scouter.

Some of the new self-inflating foam-filled air mattresses are super comfortable and insulating.  Alps ("Hiker Direct" dept) had a discount sale for Scouters on a 3"-thick model -70% off. 

Lesser but still nice (>50%) discounts for Scouters every day on Alps stuff at Hiker Direct.

If you are thinking knife, be sure there is not some local-option zero-tolerance rule that would get in the way of certain knives.  Is the Scouter willing to wipe off and oil regularly?  if not, stainless steel might be an important feature of a knife gift.  Is the Scouter OK with sharpening?  A good diamond sharpener (Even WallyWorld has them.) might be appreciated.

3 hours ago, qwazse said:

Do you know someone in this leader's troop? They might be able to point you in the right direction.

Ooh! Good idea! Is there possibly some directory where I can contact people in someone's troop if I have a name? I don't have a contact off hand.

47 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

If you are CIA material, you could engage the Scouter in a probing conversation about what to get ANOTHER Scouter.

Could work, but I know I would get suspicious if someone asked me about my area of expertise for secret Santa.

52 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

Some of the new self-inflating foam-filled air mattresses are super comfortable and insulating.  Alps ("Hiker Direct" dept) had a discount sale for Scouters on a 3"-thick model -70% off. 

Lesser but still nice (>50%) discounts for Scouters every day on Alps stuff at Hiker Direct.

Thanks! Will check that out!

53 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

If you are thinking knife, be sure there is not some local-option zero-tolerance rule that would get in the way of certain knives.  Is the Scouter willing to wipe off and oil regularly?  if not, stainless steel might be an important feature of a knife gift.  Is the Scouter OK with sharpening?  A good diamond sharpener (Even WallyWorld has them.) might be appreciated.

Completely forgot about that. Thanks!

35 minutes ago, PersonManThrowAway said:

Ooh! Good idea! Is there possibly some directory where I can contact people in someone's troop if I have a name? I don't have a contact off hand.

Could work, but I know I would get suspicious if someone asked me about my area of expertise for secret Santa.

Thanks! Will check that out!

Completely forgot about that. Thanks!

You could try Google.  Lots of troops have websites.

If you know the neighborhood in which he serves, his troop may be listed in https://beascout.scouting.org/, But, that might turn up multiple troops, packs, and crews ... only one or two of which might have his name on the roster.

I think searching his name in general is more likely to get you someone familiar with him.

Folks are pretty tight-lipped about information these days.

The fact that you are here asking question indicates you know how important Scouting is to them and that you appreciate what they do. So a note to that effect in addition to whatever you get is always appreciated. If all else fails, a gift card to Cabelas, REI, or other quality outfitter with a note saying you wanted to help them continue serving Scouts, but knowing how personal 'gear' can be, you wanted to give them the option of getting exactly what they want/need. Sounds like the easy way out, but with the right note attached it really changes the tone and reception.

• 6 months later...
On 12/2/2017 at 5:38 PM, PersonManThrowAway said:

Hey, hopefully he doesn't see this, but I've gotten a boy scout leader as a "secret Santa recipient" on a website.

The problem is that I don't have much of an interest in camping - or at least not enough to know what to get. My budget is around $100 - does anyone have any good gift ideas? Maybe something I can get someone who's into the wilderness that they can never have enough of? I was thinking maybe a $100 knife, but I don't know. I came to you guys because you seem like a nice bunch of people who may know about what a boy scout leader may want. Thanks in advance!

You can never go wrong with an engraved knife (unless you spell something wrong on the engraving)

Edited by perdidochas

I was given a really really nice 3/4 axe with a thank you engraved in the handle. It's so sweet I'd like to just buy a chord of wood and split it. The fires would be nice but splitting with this axe is just wonderful.

Inside information would be nice - lest you get something he already has or will never use.  E.g.: what does he have in the way of knives (or axes)?

Some nice Nordic knives are available in that price range.  The Helle Folkekniven (Incorrect Norwegian - "folkekniv" is  the singular) can be had for under $90.00.  Slightly smaller than the official BSA Helle knives, it is unlikely to draw fire from the knife-phobic types.  http://www.helle.no/products/knives/folkekniven/

Edited by TAHAWK
18 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

Inside information would be nice - lest you get something he already has or will never use.  E.g.: what does he have in the way of knives (or axes)?

Some nice Nordic knives are available in that price range.  The Helle Folkekniven (Incorrect Norwegian - "folkekniv" is  the singular) can be had for under $90.00.  Slightly smaller than the official BSA Helle knives, it is unlikely to draw fire from the knife-phobic types.  http://www.helle.no/products/knives/folkekniven/

Your post is incomprehensible. Just because I have three identical knives, why would I not want another one? :)