Chef credits Boy Scout cooking and Onion Dip Mix

While a guest on Saturday CBS This Morning's  The Dish, Chef Greg Baxtrom talked about cooking in Boy Scouts and how it influenced him in his career. Here is link to video (at 1:38, interviewer asks about culinary Boy Scout training)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-dish-chef-greg-baxtrom

He also credited Lipton Onion Dip Mix in a March interview with Bon Appetit

All the Boy Scouts’ dads would get into it and try to show off to each other. It started with canned beef stew, and then it turned into making your own beef stew. Then more like silver dollar cooking, where you take something like hamburger and put it in foil with some chopped onions and garlic and lay it on top of the coals and cook it, then open it up later on and eat it. Something tells me that a lot of the stuff we did, they don't do anymore.

My dad is the kind of guy who is super hands-on. He's a carpenter, and I built a lot of things with him growing up. There's just this same craft element to cooking, too, and I responded to that more than building cars or a shelf or dresser or cabinet. But it was the same language.

So on those camping trips, I made beef stew, soups, chicken noodle soup. One time I made a quiche, which my dad and brother thought was a little strange. When I would really try to show off, I would take the flour we brought, pancake mix, and other things, and I'd try to make some form of a batter. And then I’d pour it into a sauté pan with freeze-dried pineapple, set up a double boiler, and I steamed it. Yes, I made a cake out in the woods. The other campers would canoe by and I would very show-offy present my cake. We were all eating this weird dehydrated-pineapple upside-down cake. It was pretty good!

...more at source link

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/lipton-onion-dip-mix

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1

I, too, learned to cook b/c of scouts. When one is able to make pancakes, etc... on an open fire a stove is child's play. I still like to experiment with cooking. My wife sometimes rolls her eyes and says, just follow the recipe. Iv have a campsite which I use for campfire cooking. Made dinner out there last night actually.

Also like the chef, we had fun experimenting. Instead of pineapple cake, we did something similar using fruit coctail. Not sure why anymore, but we always had a can of fruit coctail on every trip, and Tang.

Tang, yes!  The drink of Astronauts.  No Kool-Aid for us.

My setting up a kitchen work area before preparing a meal still rolls the eyes of my wife who works the cabinet and kitchen doors to fetch when she cooks. :)

Edited by RememberSchiff