nuwriter

Top 10 Reasons for Summer Camp

32 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

The Scouts I know who are (quietly but openly gay) are among the most opposed. 

Do they not want the competition? :laugh:

19 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I have never heard Scouts talking about this.  That does not necessarily mean they don't talk about it, but if they do, they have the good sense to talk about it outside the earshot of adults.  My memory of what I discussed with my fellow Scouts back in the day is a little hazy, but of course there were no girls on staff to talk about anyway. 

I guess our boys lacked good sense.

10 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I have never heard Scouts talking about this.  That does not necessarily mean they don't talk about it, but if they do, they have the good sense to talk about it outside the earshot of adults.  My memory of what I discussed with my fellow Scouts back in the day is a little hazy, but of course there were no girls on staff to talk about anyway. 

The three things I remember our patrol talking about in the 1970s at the patrol campfire was cars, movies and girls. It was educational for the younger scouts. I can say at least 50% of the reason I joined the Scuba Explorers was because of the girls who wore bikinis during many of our activities. 

As for boys talking about girls at camp, I remember once a young very attractive Webelos leader causing quite a stir with the camp staff at our council Webelos summer camp. Especially at the swim area.

Scouting does not stop human nature.

Barry

12 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

The three things I remember our patrol talking about in the 1970s at the patrol campfire was cars, movies and girls. It was educational for the younger scouts. I can say at least 50% of the reason I joined the Scuba Explorers was because of the girls who wore bikinis during many of our activities. 

As for boys talking about girls at camp, I remember once a young very attractive Webelos leader causing quite a stir with the camp staff at our council Webelos summer camp. Especially at the swim area.

Scouting does not stop human nature.

Barry

It doesn't.  I did not mean to suggest we did not talk about girls.  I was just responding to Tampa Turtle's list that included female camp staffers as an evaluation point for camps among the boys.  It wasn't a checklist item back then because the camp staff was all-male, I guess with the exception of the camp nurse, but the point is there were no girls.  I didn't know about Scuba Explorers back then.  :)

1 minute ago, NJCubScouter said:

It doesn't.  I did not mean to suggest we did not talk about girls.  I was just responding to Tampa Turtle's list that included female camp staffers as an evaluation point for camps among the boys.  It wasn't a checklist item back then because the camp staff was all-male, I guess with the exception of the camp nurse, but the point is there were no girls.  I didn't know about Scuba Explorers back then.  :)

As a pilot and Aero Engineer, you would have thought I'd join Aviation Explorers. But sometimes hormones........... :huh: