Top 10 Reasons for Summer Camp

3 minutes ago, Stosh said:

I find it very difficult to see where family fits anywhere in the list.  It basically assumes family is not included. Great list, everyone at National should read it.

Equally, it doesn't say much about girls either, but let's not start eh? ;)

Nice list, kind of still works for over the pond too, so I might be pointing my charges and parents at that.

23 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Thank you for NOT mentioning advancement - merit badges, Path to Eagle, ... as a reason.

And what makes anyone think those issues are not floating around in the background for girls, too?  I see on the horizon adults earning Eagle as it once was, there is a president for that on the record.  So, who's mom is going to be the first Eagle?

Edited by RememberSchiff

It is on topic.   We have a great list here, and yet there a ton of boys that are focusing on MB's and advancement.   I have too many boys spending more time picking out MB's than packing.   And how many of limited classes be filled with family?  I  wouldn't complain one bit if MB's disappeared from the summer camp  experience.   Stick with the list above!

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, Stosh said:

It is on topic.   We have a great list here, and yet there a ton of boys that are focusing on MB's and advancement.   I have too many boys spending more time picking out MB's than packing.   And how many of limited classes be filled with family?  I  wouldn't complain one bit if MB's disappeared from the summer camp  experience.   Stick with the list above!

Must admit, from this distance, merit badge factories sound...not my cup of tea let's say. 

• Upvote 2

I was glad advancement was not on the list as well. I have had to sit on quite a few boy-led summer camp selection committees; here are the most common reasons I have heard for Boy Scouts selecting a summer camp. Their reasons, not mine:

- Staff. Were they friendly? Did they know their stuff or were they bored kids.

- Nostalgia. Troop has gone there before. Known quality.

- Newness. Desire to do something different (take a train, out west, water program)

- Topography, Climate. Boys from Tampa do not want to go to another hot, flat place during the summer. This almost always rules out the camps in Florida, sorry council. Most Troops I know from Tampa head to the mountains. Has to be cold enough to cut down on Mosquitoes.

- Dining Hall. Boys talk a lot about quality and quantity of food. I have never been able to get Boys interested in a place where they do their own cooking. Even the Patrols who pride themselves on cooking at campouts. Summer Camp is viewed as a vacation from the norm. 

- Merit Badge completion - For good or evil most of the boys want to make sure they get stuff completed for their time spent. They remember which camps screwed up the records and which different.

- Water Temperature - There always seems to be some kind of water front but I have never heard much about the equipment; mostly about how cold the water was. That seems to be mentioned in statements like "The food was good but the lake is too cold for swimming"

- Sleeping Arrangements- Tents vs Adirondacks vs Open cabins are big discussion points. Boys seem to like the independence of having the two man canvas tent

- Fun extras - While many camps promote big ticket things that seem to catch the eyes of leaders like zip lines, climbing towers, campfire program, rafting adventures. etc - the boys really talk about spoof merit badges, stupid theme days (zombie day), staff teaching camp songs, store hours, slush puppy flavors, and if the 'cool' instructors let Boys make something if they are not taking the Merit Badge. Kind of restores my faith in humanity.

- Girls. If the camp store has Venture girls staffing it, do they have long hair, are the friendly and will they talk to you? Is the swimming instructor known as "good looking girl" working at that camp?

• Upvote 2

It's a good list but it's missing two things: Having fun and being in the outdoors. If you show that list to a scout they might not be so interested, so number one should be having fun. Also, we all know how important the outdoors are. Fresh air, away from electronics, ....

• Upvote 2
On 12/1/2017 at 9:12 AM, Tampa Turtle said:

- Girls. If the camp store has Venture girls staffing it, do they have long hair, are the friendly and will they talk to you? Is the swimming instructor known as "good looking girl" working at that camp?

They won't have to wait very long for those girls to be in their troop/patrols. Then it will be the girls looking at the guy at the Trading Post. Of course, that's the not only scenario (not that there's anything wrong with it.).:ph34r:

Edited by RememberSchiff
No need for Matt Lauer comment.
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

They won't have to wait very long for those girls to be in their troop/patrols. Then it will be the girls looking at the guy at the Trading Post. Of course, that's the not only scenario (not that there's anything wrong with it.).:ph34r:

The Scouts I know who are (quietly but openly gay) are among the most opposed. Maybe any uniform revisions will raise the ridiculously low hemlines of the official switchbacks a bit higher...but not to the 1970's hot-pants style. Just saying.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:12 AM, Tampa Turtle said:

I have never heard Scouts talking about this.  That does not necessarily mean they don't talk about it, but if they do, they have the good sense to talk about it outside the earshot of adults.  My memory of what I discussed with my fellow Scouts back in the day is a little hazy, but of course there were no girls on staff to talk about anyway.