Hello, from an old District Commissioner

Well, the title says it all: Hello from an old District Commissioner.

By way of background, I have been Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner, District Commissioner, District Committee Chair, and now District Commissioner again. I have also been Crew Advisor for several years.

an old DC

Edited by an_old_DC
8 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

@an_old_DC while you were a DC did you wish you had more authority over unit situations?

I was DC, and am now DC again. LOL. 

But to answer your question, yes and no. Being DC is a lot like being SM in that my role is to know rules/regs, and then empower leaders (only the DC empowers CC, SMs and CMs instead of SPLs). There have been lots of times when somebody wished I could make a difficult decision for them, but at the end of the day, it was their decision as it's their unit. The problem is that councils don't want to get involved in unit spats, and if there isn't a strong and active commissioner corps, unit leaders feel like they are stuck on an island with nobody to turn to for advice.

34 minutes ago, David CO said:

The Chartered Organization owns the unit. How do you do your job (as DC) while recognizing the important role and authority of the CO.

Most people do not realize the authority and significance of a chartered org rep, including many CORs. A COR who truly understands their role and is active with the unit is a treasure. Sadly, many CORs (at least in my experience and neighborhood) are not very involved. If they are trained and active, it is a gift to work with them.