What is quality control in Scouting

14 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

Holding a scout upside down during an awards ceremony????

I remember it as a new Cub.  They hold you upside down and pin the Bobcat pin on upside right.  When you have done your first Good Turn, then the Cub turns it right-side up. 

After 35 years of intensive therapy, I turned out okay.

Edited by RememberSchiff
One s in as
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Quality Control"? Of what? @fred johnson hit the nail on the head.   Quality of the troop = Scoutmaster + COR Quality of troop operations = Committee Chair + COR Quality relating

I'm thinking BSA lost control of quality a long time ago. Just my opinion.

Glad no one has mentioned JTE yet.  

3 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

Stosh, what decade was that? 

I found an article on Bobwhite Blather:
https://bobwhiteblather.com/stop-flipping-them/

I'm glad that packs aren't doing it anymore.  

I remember it as one of the most fun parts of getting the badge. And a good intro into Scouting. Pride AND fun at the same time when getting recognized?

This was in the 70's. As with most things fun, it's in how you approach and present it.

We loved it. Dads would hold us upside down, Moms would pin it on quickly, everybody giggling. Bonus: when we looked down at our pocket, we could see it from the regular perspective, oriented to us.

Those who consider it hazing or abuse obviously aren't doing it or presenting it right. Those who consider it "adding to the requirements" are wrong, it was awarded without anything extra being required, it was just the manner it which it was presented. If it was 'mandated' by leaders, they had the wrong mindset. If a kid didn't want it, no biggie, it wasn't done. I can only remember once when someone didn't want to be upside down. No biggie, Mom tried to be as upside down as possible while pinning it on, which was even more entertaining. Bet you can't guess who wanted to be upside down after that.

Another example of an innocuous item being transformed into something verboten. Much hulabaloo over nothing, IMO.

1 hour ago, WisconsinMomma said:

How about those who prefer leaders keep their hands off the kids?  Given the number of kids with sensory issues, and the number of kids who aren't participating with two parents, etc.   I don't see any value in the custom. 

Forest for the trees. Adults who don’t have a childhood Scouting experience are changing the program. 

The touching taboo of today’s generation can’t understand how it calms confusion, soothes anger, and encourages confidence. It’s now viewed as inappropriate acts with indecent intentions. Still, I know of nothing better to calm the out of control ADD Scout than a gentle touch on the shoulder. 

I cant help but feel that future leaders will struggle to know the satisfaction of helping a boy grow to be a better person. 

Barry

• Upvote 1

Yes, the program has changed......

But so have the traditions.

This reminds me of someone in a small town telling me about the oldest house in town.  I'm a wee bit of a history buff.  I went to the address and there stood a standard ranch style house.  It looked just like everything else on the block.  Nothing unique about it.....  except when one went inside, the living room was rather unique.  It was the 4 walls and floor of the original log home that stood on that spot.

It would be a shame to sheet rock the living room walls and carpet the floors.  As times change, maybe that will become the new norm for the "oldest house in town".

Some confusion here, the topic here is Quality Control in Scouting. I split off some responses to a new touchy topic :), and deleted some confused replies, for lack of a better description.

Edited by RememberSchiff

"When I was a scout we were sent off looking for smoke shifters and sky hooks. That is now called hazing or bullying. It is neither. Sure, it could go bad but if done right It is an opportunity for the younger scouts to learn how to take some discomfort with a smile, the older scouts to learn how to watch for where the line is on each scout, the adults to bite their tongues, and everyone to have some fun."

For years, T22 took sky hooks, smoke shifters (Acme Universal Abishifter). elbow grease, (USP), snipe, and a couplr of other things of that ilk to every camporee.  The joke was on the jokers when the newbies returned, item(s) in hand.

"Hazing"?  That would be rechartering.

"Bullying"?  _________________________________________

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

"When I was a scout we were sent off looking for smoke shifters and sky hooks. That is now called hazing or bullying. It is neither. Sure, it could go bad but if done right It is an opportunity for the younger scouts to learn how to take some discomfort with a smile, the older scouts to learn how to watch for where the line is on each scout, the adults to bite their tongues, and everyone to have some fun."

For years, T22 took sky hooks, smoke shifters (Acme Universal Abishifter). elbow grease, (USP), snipe, and a couplr of other things of that ilk to every camporee.  The joke was on the jokers when the newbies returned, item(s) in hand.

"Hazing"?  That would be rechartering.

"Bullying"?  _________________________________________

I always had a smoke-shifter and sky hook available for any scout that happened along.  :)  Snipes?  They can be found in most bird books.