Home Repairs Merit Badge

2 hours ago, yknot said:

See the quote by the head of the WMCA below: 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/window-covering-manufacturers-ban-blinds-potentially-hazardous-cords/story?id=52318032

The CSPC has enforcement powers, even for voluntary recalls, which it will exercise at will especially for products that involve child safety, which can include legal action. 

Why would anyone in scouting want to see scouting promoting the repair and retention of products that are illegal to sell when the recommended action and industry standard is to replace? This is a consumer item, like a crib or a car seat. You don't repair recalled cribs or car seats, you throw them out.

Yes, I read it.  I also read a number of other articles on the subject.  The standards change does NOT make all cords illegal, they are only disallowed on "stock" products.  Here's a slightly more competently written article published by the WMCA.  https://windowcoverings.org/historic-safety-standard-removing-majority-of-corded-window-coverings-from-u-s-market-takes-effect/  This article specifically mentions that the standard only applies to about 80% of the blinds produced.

I don't know why you would think all blinds are disposable items, they are household fixtures that most people don't replace until they are no longer functional. (which is why you still find homes with roller shades)  Sure, the plastic 32" blinds may only cost $15, but higher grade blinds or custom blinds can cost hundreds of dollars per window and most people out there don't have thousands of dollars to replace all the blinds in their home unless they happen to have a small child that would actually be at risk.

But if scouts learn about replacing the cords, they can learn that the best option (when replacement isn't possible) is to replace a looped cord or a multiple terminations cord with individual (and shorter) cords that drastically reduce the risk of strangulation. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I talked to a contractor friend who is a MBC for this merit badge. He let out a muted groan when I asked him about this thread.  He said there are literally 1000's of good projects that he would

While unjamming some window weights today, my recollection of that diagram of a window-sash in that merit badge pamphlet borrowed from the troop library umpteen years ago came in handy.

It used to be parents were de facto MBCs ... back when counselor lists were suggestive helps, not exhaustive bounds. Also , substitutions were par for the course. I painted the eaves of the house

Posted Images

4 hours ago, elitts said:

Yes, I read it.  I also read a number of other articles on the subject.  The standards change does NOT make all cords illegal, they are only disallowed on "stock" products.  Here's a slightly more competently written article published by the WMCA.  https://windowcoverings.org/historic-safety-standard-removing-majority-of-corded-window-coverings-from-u-s-market-takes-effect/  This article specifically mentions that the standard only applies to about 80% of the blinds produced.

I don't know why you would think all blinds are disposable items, they are household fixtures that most people don't replace until they are no longer functional. (which is why you still find homes with roller shades)  Sure, the plastic 32" blinds may only cost $15, but higher grade blinds or custom blinds can cost hundreds of dollars per window and most people out there don't have thousands of dollars to replace all the blinds in their home unless they happen to have a small child that would actually be at risk.

But if scouts learn about replacing the cords, they can learn that the best option (when replacement isn't possible) is to replace a looped cord or a multiple terminations cord with individual (and shorter) cords that drastically reduce the risk of strangulation. 

Yes, I've read all that too. It is illegal to sell corded blinds with pull cords because they've been recalled. The custom blinds you are talking about have been reconfigured. The general recommendation by the CSPC, property managers, realtors, blind suppliers, etc.,  is to throw recalled blinds out due to safety risks and liability. 

Edited by yknot

I talked to a contractor friend who is a MBC for this merit badge. He let out a muted groan when I asked him about this thread. 

He said there are literally 1000's of good projects that he would allow as a MBC. But he is also a bit cautious telling people to make substitutions as he has seen some less than adequate replacements requested or even approved by other MBCs. 

Including:

• Replacing the toilet paper roller bar (just snapping it into place like you do every time you change a roll).
  • Putting rubber chair leg caps on a chair (literally, just pushing a rubber cap on the leg)
  • Polishing a door nob (and not even using polish, just a dry rag)
  • Putting a folded piece of paper under a table leg to balance a table (really??)

As he stated, his concern is the spirit of the MB is to learn minimal skills to actually learn how to REPAIR something, not just do normal maintenance or cleaning, but is willing to give some allowances for skills and environment. But some folks just don't know what a repair is or how to do them, or they are simply trying to take short cuts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
8 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

I talked to a contractor friend who is a MBC for this merit badge. He let out a muted groan when I asked him about this thread. 

He said there are literally 1000's of good projects that he would allow as a MBC. But he is also a bit cautious telling people to make substitutions as he has seen some less than adequate replacements requested or even approved by other MBCs. 

Including:

• Replacing the toilet paper roller bar (just snapping it into place like you do every time you change a roll).
  • Putting rubber chair leg caps on a chair (literally, just pushing a rubber cap on the leg)
  • Polishing a door nob (and not even using polish, just a dry rag)
  • Putting a folded piece of paper under a table leg to balance a table (really??)

As he stated, his concern is the spirit of the MB is to learn minimal skills to actually learn how to REPAIR something, not just do normal maintenance or cleaning, but is willing to give some allowances for skills and environment. But some folks just don't know what a repair is or how to do them, or they are simply trying to take short cuts. 

Another problem is scouts trying to "do the mB" before actually conferencing with the counselor. The counselors in these instances are just "sign-off people". The scout who just gets signed off is denied the opportunity to engage with an adult expert  to understand the requirements and gain something from that adult association and expertise. These scouts are often (in my experience) going to their parents for help with the requirements instead of the counselor.