Would you wear unique council patches?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few years ago, I wore the North Star (Minnesota) Council patch as they stood up to National over membership issues.   That said, I would rather go back to Community Strips - Town and State.

I loved the old community strips, they were great conversation starters and a great way to make friendships.  Most council patches are so "busy" that they are hard to read to know even the name of the

Stosh, I asked our SE and the BSA Store Manager about this issue of old uniform parts last Tuesday, and they both said without hesitation that mixing and matching is perfectly OK.    Besides, nothin

Until the day when community strips are re-introduced, I see nothing wrong with wearing whatever council patch (of your council) you wish, as long as you "qualify" to wear it - i.e. a Philmont CSP only if you went to Philmont, etc.

I wear this one from my last year in scouts when I went to philmont with my dad. It’s got our crew number on it and the year. I doubt I’ll ever take it off.

On a similar issue my dad wears a lodge flap from his father from the 1970s. It’s a way for him to honor his dad. And yes he’s an Arrowmen from the same lodge.

My son wears a FOS one from 2014

My daughter has already picked out a FOS from 2016.

My cubscout leader shirt has the Standard Issue

My Boyscout leader shirt has the Standard as well

My District Committe shirt has a local Scout Camp CSP for out council

My Red JacShirt will have a Standard 1970's CSP once i get around to sewing it

What was my oldest council in 2010 issued ten CSP's that year.  I wore the one from 1981.   I looked better and was more "uniform."

Not that BSA is interested in a uniform, as opposed to a brand of clothing.

I too liked the old "red and whites."  

I just looked up the community strips (as I wasn’t a Boy Scout when they were around) and I wish they didn’t get rid of them, it’s nice to know where everyone’s from instead of asking every single person “where are you fromâ€, which can get tiring at a camporee with 5000+ people.

I got the specialties and I got the standards. Some are old CSPs from when I was a DE, one is a 100th anniversary CSP, and one is an Eagle CSP.

The anniversary and Eagle are duplicates in my collections. I have one CSP that means a lot. Not only is it numbered, it is a gift. I've seen a few folks wear theirs, but not me.

But the one that means the most is from my last year on camp staff at the camp I grew up at. A very limited run celebrated an international encampment we had.  It's so rare, that last time I checked the CSP books, it was not even listed. But that is not the reason why I saved it when I could wear it. It's because it is a memopry of my old camp.

I would think if you can find them (red & whites), you can wear them. Since ANY uniform ever issued is approved for wear, it only makes since old CSPs and Council/Community strips would be approved as well.

Wearing vintage uniforms is okay, but mixing eras is frowned upon.  That's why I wear my community strip on my green shirt and not on any tan.

I wear the collar brass from the 1910 uniform on my Jac-shirt and not on any current uniforms.

If one is going to wear a modern uniform, wear it correctly, if one is going to wear a vintage uniform, wear it correctly.

Stosh, I asked our SE and the BSA Store Manager about this issue of old uniform parts last Tuesday, and they both said without hesitation that mixing and matching is perfectly OK. 

Besides, nothing is finer than frustrating the Uniform STASI over relatively minor issues.  :)

• Upvote 2

Stosh, I asked our SE and the BSA Store Manager about this issue of old uniform parts last Tuesday, and they both said without hesitation that mixing and matching is perfectly OK. 

Besides, nothing is finer than frustrating the Uniform STASI over relatively minor issues.  :)

I was told the same by both professionals and long time volunteers. The specific reason it came up was Scouts/Scouters wearing old caps, red berets and red top socks & garter socks.

'Cause you have to sew them on.

No choice now.  we have a new council name - for months.

However, new CSPs are arriving in the Scout Shop under 100 a week.   Great business plan.

So off to ScoutStuff, where CSPs are not listed by alphabetical - or any other discernible -  order.   :mad:   And you find after searching six at a time in random order that the old, obsolete CSP is for sale, as are [at a $.50 discount] the CSPs for the two councils that went away, but NOT the one with the new council name.   :confused:

No choice now.  we have a new council name.

The new merged councils are tending to choose names that don't clearly identify where the scouts are from. They are getting nondescript council names like Path to Adventure and Three Rivers.

I think we should just lose the shoulder patch. It serves no useful purpose.

Edited by David CO

The name of our new council was selected from a list of suggestions by Scouts and relates to where we are, geographically. "Lake Erie Council" - from Sandusky Bay to Conneaut.  Others on the short list:  Northeast Ohio; Greater Western Reserve (You would need to know some U.S. history to understand that one.); Greater Cleveland (the name of virtually the same area as a BSA "district" in 1912). 

Of course, if you don't know where Lake Erie is, and most Americans do not, you are as uninformed as those who don't know that "Three Rivers" is a traditional name for the Pittsburgh area, home of the Three Rivers Council (and the Steelers' "Three Rivers Stadium")

(This is an issue not as important to me as our inept lords and masters blowing our Congressional charter by removing the "Boy" from Boy Scouts of America. ) 

Hmmm..... that means the Council can collapse, merge, take over others, change it's name and do all sorts of gyrations to generate CSP revenue, but if I just put the old Community Strip and State Strip on, I don't have to invest in a patch collection to be correct.  Is that a fair statement?