Would you wear unique council patches?

Our council has a patch.

Then there are other council patches.  I received a special edition one for a gift to FOS, and I just received two from my wood badge course.

But, would you wear a unique council patch on your uniform, or stay uniform? 

What do you do with your extra patches?  My boys have patch blankets, I keep my extras in the sewing box for now. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few years ago, I wore the North Star (Minnesota) Council patch as they stood up to National over membership issues.   That said, I would rather go back to Community Strips - Town and State.

I loved the old community strips, they were great conversation starters and a great way to make friendships.  Most council patches are so "busy" that they are hard to read to know even the name of the

Stosh, I asked our SE and the BSA Store Manager about this issue of old uniform parts last Tuesday, and they both said without hesitation that mixing and matching is perfectly OK.    Besides, nothin

I loved the old community strips, they were great conversation starters and a great way to make friendships.  Most council patches are so "busy" that they are hard to read to know even the name of the council.  From 5' away all one knows is that it's different than the one one is wearing.  It could even be the same council, but it's hard to tell.

I wear the one that was issued when I bought the uniforms, my oldest shirt has a patch from 1993.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 3

Most councils have more than one CSP, if not several at any given time. There may be dozens over the course of a Scouting career.

Uniformity in CSP’s is nearly impossible to achieve, let alone enforce. If your council adds 1,000 Scouts per year and changes it’s CSP in 3 years, do ask/require those 3,000 Scouts to change CSPs?

In my mind, no.

Not to mention, some events ask staff or participants to wear a specific CSP, like Wood Badge Staff or Jamboree participants.

Wear whichever ever issued CSP you think is appropriate. I have several uniforms I have collected over time for different unit types and different Scouting jobs. I’m not sure I have the same CSP repeated unless it is required for some reason and I have more than one uniform for that purpose (e.g. WB staff)

Edited by HelpfulTracks

I have a couple of uniforms.

1. My standard troop uniform.  Has the standard CSP & Lodge Flap

2. My OA Adviser Uniform.  Has the OA Centennial CSP & Lodge Flap set

3. My new Jamboree uniform - that one has the 2017 Jamboree CSP & Lodge Flap

4. My Venturing uniform - also has the 2017 Jamboree CSP & Lodge Flap

Obviously, I had the last two put together for the Jamboree (I was staff), but now, they are just in the rotation.

#1 is getting a little worn and will probably be replaced next year.  I will probably maintain the standard look.

Maybe, if I go to NOAC in 2020, I'll replace #2

• Upvote 1

I wear as little ornamentation on my uniform as the rules allow. I am not at all impressed by bling.

I also think it is a terrible idea to have a uniform patch signifying a donation. That is in very bad taste.

Edited by David CO

I loved the old community strips, they were great conversation starters and a great way to make friendships.  Most council patches are so "busy" that they are hard to read to know even the name of the council.  From 5' away all one knows is that it's different than the one one is wearing.  It could even be the same council, but it's hard to tell.

I wear the one that was issued when I bought the uniforms, my oldest shirt has a patch from 1993.

I wish this were still an option. Besides being really unique and unusual (what everyone was going for with the bright busy patches) it would be simpler.

There ya go.   Make a poll>   I vote for the community strips.   "Local Option" ?    NCAC then Ashton MD ?  Sleeve might then look like:

((seam))

Council

Community

Unit  ###

POR/Officer? 

"Trained"

Would that work?  Or do we need to require the Long Sleeve shirt? 

What? You all wouldn't know where Laurel Highlands is without seeing the CSP?

I'm all for the going the opposite direction. A custom CSP for each unit: a view from on high of the planet (or at least the part wherein your council resides), state boundaries in black, with your council boarder in red and a red thread pinned to the location of your CO  (or the centre of your district for district staff). No more lettering. It's time for you all to know you geography.

I have a couple of uniforms.

1. My standard troop uniform.  Has the standard CSP & Lodge Flap

2. My OA Adviser Uniform.  Has the OA Centennial CSP & Lodge Flap set

3. My new Jamboree uniform - that one has the 2017 Jamboree CSP & Lodge Flap

4. My Venturing uniform - also has the 2017 Jamboree CSP & Lodge Flap

Obviously, I had the last two put together for the Jamboree (I was staff), but now, they are just in the rotation.

#1 is getting a little worn and will probably be replaced next year.  I will probably maintain the standard look.

Maybe, if I go to NOAC in 2020, I'll replace #2

Our Scout Shop staff is all for selling multiple uniforms!  LOL.  I am trying to be thrifty. I have one shirt for Cubs, and no shirt yet for Boy Scouts, although I could put together a shirt with a Troop Committee patch.   Two uniforms would be plenty! 

• Upvote 1

My historical 1960's uniform has all the correct bling.  I have moved from one town to another in a troop change, so I just changed out the community strip.  One can always try to get the old ones off of Ebay.  That's where I got mine as did my former SPL who worked on a historical uniform as well.

I get a lot of comments from the SM patch from 1960's, not many people have ever seen one.

Over many washings, the 1993 council patch I have is well worn, really well worn.  Am I going to replace it anytime soon?  Nope, no one looks at it anyway.

I have been debating that myself, I have yet to see another scouter (I’m Life, soon to be eagle), wearing a unique patch beside the Jamboree ones. I’ve had a FOS patch since 2014 and don’t know if I would want to stand out.